Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on tow mirrors. I posted this in another section but perhaps I should have done it in this section (sorry new to site). I have searched several old threads and web sites and don’t see quite what I am looking for. First off I pull a 42’ enclosed gooseneck trailer (I’ll try to get a pic for the towing pic thread sometime) that is about 9’ tall. My previous trucks have always had the old style factory 4 post door mount mirrors (west coast style). I add a 4” wide angle bubble mirror under the main mirror for added visibility. This has worked moderately well in the past allowing sight down the side of the trailer and view of all the rear wheels.

I recently bought a “new” 98 without these mirrors. It only have the short “sport” style mirrors. I have another set of these door mount mirrors, but I really don’t want to drill four holes in the door and relocate the Dodge emblem if I can avoid it. This truck has very nice paint and I don’t want to risk messing it up by either step required to install them. So I have been looking at several of the threads here about different mirror styles that bolt in place of the factory location in the corner of the door. I don’t particularly like the slid out mirrors, but could be persuaded. The ones that look the most appealing to me are the flip out mirrors, similar the factory flip outs. I don’t however like that one corner of the mirror viewing area is being used for the wide angle lens which takes away from the main mirror view. Does anyone know if you can get this style with a solid face mirror? If so do any of them have provisions for adding the extra wide angle mirror under the main arm of the mirror frame? Do any of you have experience with both styles and if so which provided the best visibility? If anything I need better visibility than my previous set-ups.

Are there other tow mirror options I have not run across or mentioned here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have CIPA, slide out type, on my 02. I wish they slid out a bit further, but the do alright. I had a J-bracket bent out of 3/16 X 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock. The loop of the "j" hooks over the top of the top bar on the mirror and a u bolt fits over the bottom bar locking the bracket in place. I then mounted a 7" fish eye mirror to the bracket. I can see vehicles out either door window very easily just by shifting my eyes. Also, the CIPA mirrors are very large.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts

·
Registered
11,477 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help and great links. At the moment I am still leaning toward the flip out mirrors. Does anyone know if they make a solid glass for these mirrors (no wide angle corner mirror)? I have not had any luck finding, but I don’t claim to be the best researcher either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My old trucks had the four post chrome mirrors that bolt to the side of the door. For those it was easy to mount a 4" fish eye under the main mirror. In my opinion adding the fish eye to the main mirror just takes away from what you can see. Due to the new truck not having these from the factory and paint being really nice, I now would like to use the newer mirrors rather than drilling and mounting to the door. So I would rather have a solid mirror and add the fish eye under like before.

I am still researching how much trouble to add the 4” mirror to the main arm of the flip out mirror. I suppose I will just buy a set and try them. I can always mod them later.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My situation is just the opposite. I just purchased a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 with the bolt on to the door style or camper mirrors. I'm wanting to replace them with the flip out tow mirrors. I would like to have at least power mirrors, but not sure they will work or not. Does anyone know if these trucks have a wiring plug to install power mirrors, or would it require running new wiring into the door for it. The truck is equipped with power everything else along with the camper group, light group, trailer tow group and power group. Thanks for the help!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts