Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a issue with a cop this morning about the length my tow mirros (OEM units) stuck out from the vehicle. does anyone know any laws regarding this specific to mirrors or does with just pertain to overall max width for a vehicle?

Also I heard rumor of a new Law in California that all vehicles that have in tow a trailer that has a gross axel weight of 10,000lbs or more that they must have a Class A license? anyone know the truth behind this or the specifics? does it pertain to the general public or just commercial with a CA #?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I actually WACKED :hehe: a guy with my OEM mirrors. This guy had run out of gas and was walking a two lane road w/ NO shoulder. Morning sun was in my eyes; I never saw him but I heard him!! I turned around and offered help but refused. Called a LEO and said it was OK to leave if he refused.

Check out DMV on-line for the trailer regs.

I live in Ca too and this has been a huge debate.

If you tow a TT rated over 10K, you are supposed to have a NON-Commercial Class A.

If you tow a fithwheel rated over 15k, you are supposed to have NON-Commercial Class A. If you tow a fithwheel that's over 10k but 15k and under, you need a RV Endorsement

The Rv Endorsement is the only FREE test that DMV offers. It a multiple choice test-Very easy.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that makes a little more sense, I have to get a Class B Emergency Equipment endorsment so I figure with I'll just go the whole way to a commercial Class A so I can pull the lowbed on the farm, not sure if Farm is considered Commercial though.. but all of my trailers except for the ATV trailer are all over 10k.

Now does a Livestock trailer with living quarters consist of and RV?

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's tough to say on livestock/farm equipment.

Some AG trailers don't even need to be registered.

I pulled my horseshoeing trailer for years with an orange triangle mounted on back for years.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it all... took a bit of searching...

Yes livestock can not be over 10k on a Class C, must have a Noncommercial Class A, also need a Noncommercial Class a if you pull a bumper pull travel trailer over 10k and a 5th wheel over 15k. this is in California

Comercial is classified as if you are for hire over 26,001k

Still haven't found anything for a personally owner non commercial 20k GN trailer....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts