Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Towing in the snow

418 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Bigwheels94
I'm a hunter & have traded my truck camper for a 5th wheel 2 yrs ago. It's a Artic Fox 27-5R & I drag it 7 miles up a mountain to deer & elk camp in Oct-Nov. I have real tire chains for all 8 tires & a Tekonsha brake controller which I turn down significantly from my normal highway setting. The truck has good 4 season ATs but right now the trailer has the factory tires.
So far I've come down the mountain in low range slowly & with a skiff of snow & ice with no troubles but this year we left early due to a storm approaching that would have dropped 3-4" of snow & 40mph winds. The snow would be moderately wet. Not really good snownall snow but not dry powder either.
My question for the more experienced haulers, particularly from the mountain states is how much snow have you towed in? With or without chains?
Have you towed up hill in the snow with chains? Coming down the mountain there is a 1/4 mile stretch of uphill. Nothing steep but up hill nonetheless.
Where I live in west Washington St I get scant to no opportunity or need to tow in those conditions.
Thanks.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,459 Posts
I grew up without four-wheel-drive vehicles, but we used chains instead. I’ve also driven 2 Wheel Dr. service trucks with chains on the back. I could go more places than the four-wheel-drive vehicles and it was a lot more secure… No sliding around.
if I knew about bad conditions, ahead of time, I would let some air out of the tires, put the chains on, and air the tires back up. You can’t drive very fast with chains on, but the traction is awesome.

· Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a chain novice with my trucks. They do work well. I've never towed a trailer in snow. I assume that if I chain up every tire & set the brake controller right going down a mountain road in a few inches of snow & ice won't be much of a problem. Even going up a slight incline might not be a problem. But I've never done it. The road I have to take will likely be driven before I head out so it's going to be compact snow & ice. I think the brake controller setting will be key. I can set it so the trailer brakes virtually match the trucks braking & I'll be ok. Assume that will be a fine line.

· Registered
601 Posts
Chains all around is the way to go. I've gone down and up fairly steep dirt roads while towing the T/T as well. Slow and steady will get you where you want to go and back out again.
Once the snow starts melting and the road gets muddy all bets are off. Ask me how I know. :whistle:

· Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply. It's hard to test these theories without risking about $100k of truck & trailer ending up at the bottom of a ravine...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts