Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys tow with 37's or bigger? How bad do you squat in the back? Followed a f250 with 38's over the pass yesterday with the frt end pointed towards the moon. Really got me thinking post some pics if ya got um

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody ???????

·
Registered
556 Posts
ill let ya know in a week, ive got to take my 16k trailor to get serivced, just put on 37's 3 days ago, :0

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
post up;; truck im looking at has 37's i plan on selling the lift and tires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i've got 35"s on a 6" lift and dont have an issue. one of the big concerns, besides load rating of the tires, is that your drop hitch is the right size.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've got 35"s on a 6" lift and dont have an issue. one of the big concerns, besides load rating of the tires, is that your drop hitch is the right size.
You can get toyo's in a "e" range and I have seen some differant drop hitches. I think the squat from the load has me more worried then anything

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill let ya know in a week, ive got to take my 16k trailor to get serivced, just put on 37's 3 days ago, :0
Let us know how it does

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you have the E rated tires and the correct drop hitch, then it makes it about equal to stock. I have pulled many times with my 37's and I don't point to the moon. I did by a travel trailer this past summer. It is a toy hauler and the two ATV's sit on the front. I put a third in the bed of the truck. That much weight on the back in did cause mine to squat. I put air bags in and it leveled out nicely with only 50psi.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Are you suggesting that the squat comes from squishing the tires? I would expect only minimal tire deflection. If 37s squish more then they would also cost a lot in fuel because of that squish. (I guess you could measure the distance from pavement to the top of the tire unloaded vs loaded to see how much is in the tire). I expect that the majority of the squat comes in the suspension and that doesn't change with the tires.

However I know that different tires (even within the same size) flex side to side more which really impacts towing comfort. I would assume that the lateral flex increases dramatically with taller sidewalls. Even though my rig gets only 10% of its miles loaded or towing, the reason I have it rather than a Prius is for that capability when I need it.

I believe that the best towing rig comes with the shortest stiffest sidewalls so my plans are to stay on stock tires and no lift (and add airbags). Anyone see this differently?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I say squat i'm not talking about the tires. I am talking about suspension compression.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have the E rated tires and the correct drop hitch, then it makes it about equal to stock. I have pulled many times with my 37's and I don't point to the moon. I did by a travel trailer this past summer. It is a toy hauler and the two ATV's sit on the front. I put a third in the bed of the truck. That much weight on the back in did cause mine to squat. I put air bags in and it leveled out nicely with only 50psi.
Whose air bags are you using?

·
Registered
596 Posts
35" Toyo MT on a 5.5" lift, factory leaf packs and overloads with a 2" AAL also. Trailer weighs 4100 and the tractor as seen is right at 6500. 10" B&W drop hitch.

Some squat but not a bunch.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good

·
Registered
607 Posts
I tow a 30 foot triple axle weekend warrior toy hauler which is about 9800 empty. I have a six inch lift with toyo open country 37inch E-rated tires, and also have firestone airbags. I don't squat at all and my truck pulls fine. The reason I don't squat is the airbags. I run them at about 55psi and my truck and trailer sit perfectly level. My hitch is a 12 inch drop hitch . If I didnt have the airbags I would defiantly squat, as the tongue weight is 2700lbs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Truck has a 6 inch lift with 37's, the trailer during this picture weighed 11800lbs with a tongue weight of 2700lbs, my airbags are at 60psi and the truck sits pretty level. Without the bags by headlights would be pointed to the sky with that kind of tongue weight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I pull heavy with 37's all the time. Sometimes doubles.......

Set the truck up properly and it will be a non issue.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The bigest reson a lifted truck squats when hawlin a Load is most lift's level the suspension so your starting out 2 or so in" Lower than stock in the rear.
If you get a 6" lift the rear is only lifted 4". In my opinion this looks like crap unless you never cary anything with your truck.
Just tell the lift company you want to keep the factory rake so whatever the front goes up so does the rear.
I run about 10" of lift on my f250 (soon to be powered by cummins) and run 37" mud graplers and I can tow any thing that the same truck can stock! :thumbsup:
Also my set up is on 20" rims if you went with 37"s on 16"s then it probobly would sway a bit.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
another thing that could really affect the stance is a wdh ive seen way to mannt lifted trucks pullin TT and what not that are nose in the sky 99% of the time they arnt running a wdh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts