Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the towing capacity of a 93 d250 4sp auto w/8ft bed and clubcab?

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
They will tow more than the door sticker says!:thumbsup

My 93 D250 extended cab with an Auto has a GCWR of 12,500#. This means you can legally tow a trailer that weighs about 5500 pounds. I tow a 7000# trailer and the guy that I bought the truck from had a 31' fifth wheel that weighed around 12,000 pounds.

I put mine on the scales in Oregon a couple of years ago and total weight was about 14,250 which is about right for the trailer I have.

A lot of the guys that have 2500 trucks are overloaded when towing a big fifth wheel or trailer if you look at the total weight capacity the trucks are rated for. Out here we don't have to be scaled so it really isn't an issue (yet!:lol3:)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does the law recognize anyway to increase the capacity? electric brackes or weight distribuition etc??

·
Registered
34 Posts
It Actually Goes By How Much You Pay For You Registration.to Pull More You Pay More.of Course Your Truck Has To Be Able To Handle It.mine Is Not Registered For The Weight I Pull But Campers Dont Have To Be Scaled In Our State,for Private Use Anyways.if Your Going To Pull On A Scale Pay Youre Fee At A Truck Stop The One On The Highway Will Inpound Your Veichle For Any Violations Bad Enough!

·
Registered
198 Posts
so if my truck weights gvwr is 8510 lb and my payload allowence is 4304 lbs.
what would be the official 5th wheel by the book allowable weight? I am confused.
now unofficially what is a reasonable safe limit that does not go by the book but in practice is a safe 5th wheel weight?
I have a d250 new cummins in old truck , 5 spd 2wd
Sid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts