Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2011 3500 megacab 4x4 SRW with 3.73 rearend. The dealer says the towing capacity is only 13,500 but when I look it up on the web I get 17,000 as an answer. I will be pulling my 38' 11,000 pound 5th wheel camper and I'm worried about my truck squatting. Does anybody know the proper towing capcity and should I install airbags or helper springs on the rearend?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Should be 12,000 bumper pull and 16,900 5th wheel pull. Depending on hitch weight on the sagging . The new truck sags a little more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kingpin weight on my camper is 2,400

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
You may want to look again. I have a 2010 Dually with 4:10 rear end and it's not rated for 17,000# that I'm aware of....GVWR on my truck is 12,200# and with the 4:10 rear end, GCWR is 24,500# (total weight of truck and 5er together)...My 5er is 39' long with a GVW of 16,500#, but only loaded to 15,250#, with a pinweight of a little over 3,000#.

If your 5er weighs 11,000# with a pin weight of only 2500# or so, don't see an issue with the 3500 SRW towing it....Guess you might need air bags to level the load, but I'd wait until you hook up to the 5er and see how it sits.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Straight from the Brochure, it says GVWR=10100lbs, GCWR=21000lbs, Towing cap=13450lbs with SRW. The brochure I have doesn't give 5th or G/N towing capacities.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I just bought a new 2011 3500 megacab 4x4 SRW with 3.73 rearend. The dealer says the towing capacity is only 13,500 but when I look it up on the web I get 17,000 as an answer. I will be pulling my 38' 11,000 pound 5th wheel camper and I'm worried about my truck squatting. Does anybody know the proper towing capcity and should I install airbags or helper springs on the rearend?
I used this website all the time to answer poster questions. http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

Also the actual link to the information that you are looking for is this from the above site also.
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2011/docs/ram/rammlup3500.pdf

This is for the Mega Cab, SRW, 4X4 truck. The actual trailer weight is between 13,300 to 13,500 LBS for this style of truck. The different weights that I list are do to the trim level on the cab.

What is the actual GWR of the trailer, this will include all of your toys and a full load of water and black/gray filled up? This is then the GWR, depending on balance and distribution of the tanks you will have either 15% or 20% of this weigth as your pin load.

The pin load is then applied to the truck rear/front axle and a combind this with the trailer weight - the pin load. You get a Gross Combind Weight Rating this can not exceed 21,000 LB's for your truck.

I would also take your truck and trialer accross a weight scale at a truck to stop to find the actual weights and loads that are placed on your truck.

As an example I am pulling a 318SAB Cougar, that has a GWR of 11,980 LBS with a 2008, 2500HD Mega Cab. Here are my certified weight numbers from a CAT scale:
Front axle 4940, Drive axle (rear) 5160, Trailer Axle 8140 and Gross Combind Weight 18,240 LBS. I am fully loaded with DW and a full tank of fuel but no water and black/gray tanks are empty.

I never carry water when towing, I fill up at the campground when required to do so. I also do not sag when towing my 5er.

Hope this helps?
Jim

Reactions: Thumper7

·
Registered
959 Posts
You are going to be limited by pin weight and your trucks GVW.

Lets say your truck weighs 7800 empty that leaves you 2300lbs for pin weight + passengers and cargo.

Realistically the highest GVW on your trailer will be 8000-10,000 and that will be pushing it if you have more than one person + luggage/gear in the truck.

obviously no one really cares about exceeding the vehicles GVW so the limitation is the amount you are comfortable exceeding the GVW by.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
You are going to be limited by pin weight and your trucks GVW.

Lets say your truck weighs 7800 empty that leaves you 2300lbs for pin weight + passengers and cargo.

Realistically the highest GVW on your trailer will be 8000-10,000 and that will be pushing it if you have more than one person + luggage/gear in the truck.

obviously no one really cares about exceeding the vehicles GVW so the limitation is the amount you are comfortable exceeding the GVW by.
......actually I do care about exceeding one's GVW. I've been called the "Weight Police" on RV.NET more times than I can count for posting about this topic as well as having been called down on this forum for basically the same thing. I do know though that one can use their RAWR to also figure payload capacity, but when you do this, your also figuring away any safety margin that was built into your trucks specs....Once you meet or exceed your RAWR, you're pushing your trucks limits, and to me, possibly causing safety issues, but most don't want to hear it....especially those who are towing well over their trucks limits...Most try justifying towing well over their trucks limits by telling us of how many do it anyway...thus, it must be ok, or they just "know" there isn't a problem with it.

The draw back with the Mega cab, 4X4 is that a lot of it's GVWR is eaten up by the truck itself...Most know that the same truck in a 2 wheel drive, reg cab short bed configuration would have more payload capacity than a 4X4 Mega cab, due to the fact that the 2 wheel drive reg cab weighs less, thus, you have more payload capacity. You may be right about the OP's rv being too heavy for the Mega cab, 11,000# for a loaded 38' unit sounds light to me, but without knowing the make and model number of it, kind of hard to know for sure....I personally would be hesitant to tow that 5er with that truck

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You should do fine. I haul an 5vr about the same weight. The truck works fine. The exhaust brake does most of the braking on the newer trucks. Towed the same weight using the older truck, no issues. The brakes got warm on the hills in the mountains.

Air bags are nice to equalize the load. I'm not a 4.10 gear fan in a diesel, that's daily driver that doesn't tow to often. Seen to many valves floating from over reving and towing.:hehe:

The RFE68 tow the heavy stuff way better than the old RE48 transmission.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I hooked up the Camper to the new truck yesterday just to see if it would squat and it did squat a little bit. I ordered a set of firestone ride-rite airbags today to help out.

I weighed my truck with me in it, my tool box in the bed, and a full tank of fuel and got 8,320#, toolbox is about 350# and it will come out when I tow. I estimate that my camper weighs about 12,500-13,000 loaded and figure the truck with me, the family and fuel at 8300 I will be right at the GCWR of 21,000# +/- 300#. The GVWR of the truck will be exceeded by about 1000# but I'm not worried.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
You might not be worried, but I think you should be. A 1000 lbs is a lot for a long haul. But, it is your truck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't understand why I should be worried about 1000# on the truck when my GCWR will be in spec. The truck has a 5500# front axle and a 6500# rear axle but is only rated in dodges book at 10,100# ?....... I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm just asking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't understand why I should be worried about 1000# on the truck when my GCWR will be in spec. The truck has a 5500# front axle and a 6500# rear axle but is only rated in dodges book at 10,100# ?....... I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm just asking.
Very good question. I have a feeling that they're somewhat und errated. :rolleyes: Maybe it's not so much how much you can carry but how it'll handle? I dunno' These trucks obviously have wiggle room though. But it is a significant difference from 10,100 GVWR and a 12000 GAWR.

Frostbitte

·
Banned
627 Posts
Don't sweat it. Just pull it. Your truck will be fine.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What is the total combined weight capacity for your tires?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
total combined weight rating on the tires is over 12,000#, each tire is good for over 3100# according to the sidewall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear all that man. I am rather disappointed about these trucks i expected more out of them. What i mean is i wanted to get into doing hot shotting with my 2010 dodge diesel 3500 and the guy at Driver Direct finally said to me; "look you're going to be towing 15 500lbs quite often if you're working for us and without having a 5500 - at the end of the year that truck will Bankrupt you. You will be left with a bagged out truck and no money and no one will want to buy it. Dodge, Chev, Ford, these small trucks just simply cant take that weight, that's why we cut em off at 15 500lbs. They can handle hooking that kind of weight maybe 5 times a year." He said more than just that too.

Open to idea's/advice cuz i'd like to make $55/h with them just to sit on my , drink coffee and drive =]

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I hear all that man. I am rather disappointed about these trucks i expected more out of them. What i mean is i wanted to get into doing hot shotting with my 2010 dodge diesel 3500 and the guy at Driver Direct finally said to me; "look you're going to be towing 15 500lbs quite often if you're working for us and without having a 5500 - at the end of the year that truck will Bankrupt you. You will be left with a bagged out truck and no money and no one will want to buy it. Dodge, Chev, Ford, these small trucks just simply cant take that weight, that's why we cut em off at 15 500lbs. They can handle hooking that kind of weight maybe 5 times a year." He said more than just that too.

Open to idea's/advice cuz i'd like to make $55/h with them just to sit on my , drink coffee and drive =]
Pretty sure that guy knows what he is talking about. Gonna have to look for another way to make money or trade up to a 5500. Talk to local RV/trailer sales places, auto dealerships/equipment sales folks to see if they need someone deliver for them. Dont forget to take insurance money out of your $55 hourly rate.

Figuring GVW/GCVWR/blah/BLAH/Blah is like doing Chinese Arithmetic. :spank::banghead:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
total combined weight rating on the tires is over 12,000#, each tire is good for over 3100# according to the sidewall.
#3,100 sounds like a Load rage "D" tire, 2500 and 3500 should be running Load range "E" that are inflatable to 80 psi to carry the load.

I would rather push the weight lmit of the axle than that of the tire, also the "E" will be more stable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
#3,100 sounds like a Load rage "D" tire, 2500 and 3500 should be running Load range "E" that are inflatable to 80 psi to carry the load.

I would rather push the weight lmit of the axle than that of the tire, also the "E" will be more stable.
Wrong, these are OEM Michelin LTX Load Rang E tires that are good for 3195lbs each at 80 psi.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts