Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i was just wondering how hard it would be on my truck to two 2 jeeps on a trailer over a mountin. would that be over kill for this truck. I see alot of 3500 and 2500 pulling alot of weight but i dont want to kill my truck doing so. I have towed the 2 jeeps alot with this truck but not over any mountins. plus id rather not put a new trany in after hahha.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone...........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depends add up the GVW's on the jeeps and trailer and see how close you are to max tow wieght.....I prob. wouldn't but its yourcall

·
Registered
785 Posts
Go for it. Just watch your EGT and fuel pressure and you should be fine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it would be close or even a little over 10,000 pounds. what exactly are these trucks rated to tow

K

·
0 Posts
i would think you would be fine we pull a excavator and skidsteer behind our 12v auto and we have no problems its not the mountains but we have some hills we go up from a dead stop at the bottom on gravel and dont have problems these hills are like a 45deg angle and are 500ft + like said watch egts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aight hahaha one way to find out right

·
Registered
164 Posts
you should be fine, i wouldn't race up the mountain with it, just let the truck ease along and do its work. Three weeks ago i hauled my buddys 95gmc 3500 6.5 diesel home from upstate when he broke down. truck and trailer were about 11-12k. trip was 300 miles loaded and up and down lots of hills and mountains. my trans temp never got too high. stock trans still feels fine. your call though.
95 gmc 3500 145k miles
broke the crank:banghead:, connecting rod:banghead:, and cracked the drivers side head and who knows what elese :truck:. should have left the gmc on the side of the road in my opinion! he needs a cummins :cbadge:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahha yeah i had a gmc 3500 before the cummins major problems with it hahaha never goin back

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
you have guages for a reason just keep an eye on them and let it rid like said before just let the truck work and dont push it..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have always been told when towing up step hills to take it out of over drive.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
I don't think 10k qualifies as "alot of waight " :thumbsup:

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
ya take it out of over drive if you want that or fry the tranny and that will give you a reason to upgrade...lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thats not a lot of weight at all. BUT you do not want to pull 10k in Overdrive.

·
Dey took er jerbs!
1,741 Posts
I towed a 14K tractor/snowblower over the mountains around here. It was a 6 speed, not a manual....just had to drop to 4th. Like mentione above, just keep an eye on the egts and tranny temp

·
Registered
119 Posts
My door sticker say 13,200 lbs. Yours should be close to that.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Don't forget trailer brakes...

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
I'd drop it into 3rd and take it easy. Don't bog the engine either, shift to 2nd if you have to depending on the incline. Higher revs will help keep your EGT's down over bogging it up the hill. I wish you had a trans temp gauge.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts