Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a few questions for ya.

Tomorrow i will be towin our race car trailer which is a 28' Car Mate trailer with dirt modified car inside, along with all our stuff.(air compressor, generator, toolbox etc.) The trailer is aroung 6K, the car is 2400lbs., and i'd imagine all our other stuff is around 1500, so the total weight is gonna be close to 10K.

The other team that operates out of the same shop is towing their trailer with an 08' F-450 dually, automatic, which is box stock right down to the oil and they have been grindin on me for 4 days about how they are gonna blow me away on the highway! their trailer is probably a good 10ft. longer and weights between 3-4k more than ours fully loaded.

We're gonna race from about a 50mph roll side by side pulling this big hill on the highway and the first one to the top wins! Pretty plain and simple!

I'm gonna have my Smarty on #3, so what do ya'll think? Think i can take them? I sure hope so cause i've been talking a lot of smack on that ford all week and i'd hate to eat my words. I need some honest opinions here!:thumbsup

·
Registered
134 Posts
as far as fair goes..

I think you should run your truck bone stock also. Remove the smarty and then go play with him. Stock-vs-stock is fair. Although I sure love my smarty and I think it is crazy that just the 30hp setting makes the truck more alive and drives better. Oyeah and he is already gonna be towing heavier than you anyway.. you should have no problem.

Good luck on the race!

Eddy:peelout

·
Registered
46 Posts
if it was me i would beat him as bad as u can and just pat the dash as u roll on by. its not even fair if u had it on the stock setting.lol

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
should be a good go. If you are that much lighter then you shouldnt have any issues.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i think you'll smoke em, those new 6.0 are doggs
it's not a 6.0 it's a 6.4 with the factory twins...
dont know how it will pan out...i'm pullin for yah ...let us know what happens :popcorn:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Lets see who gets better mileage:lol3::lol3::thumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice so far! I am debating on turning the Smarty to #5, but i am just a little concerned with the EGT's. I towed the trailer back from the trailer manufacturer on Tuesday cause we just bought it and like i said I had it on #3 and the EGT's at 75mph were at 800*.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna be adding about another 4K between car, equipment and crew men since i towed with it empty, and i'm just a little concerned that the added weight and bumping it up to #5 will get the egt's a little too high.

Do ya'll think that extra weight and moving it to #5 will bring the egt's from 800 up a lot more? Ha ha, if you haven't guessed, I need to beat them as bad as i can just for some friendly bragging rights. I just have to watch the clutch too!:lol3:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
you'll smoke ur clutch if its stock on level 5, personally i'd go level 3 and let em have it

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i'de leave it on 3 or just the tow setting....you're pulling less weight with a med. duty diesel anyway...;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think you should run your truck bone stock also. Remove the smarty and then go play with him. Stock-vs-stock is fair. Although I sure love my smarty and I think it is crazy that just the 30hp setting makes the truck more alive and drives better. Oyeah and he is already gonna be towing heavier than you anyway.. you should have no problem.

Good luck on the race!

Eddy:peelout
not even! if you have a smarty, use it! blow that guy off the road :peelout lol. it's not your fault he doesn't have one :lol3:

Lets see who gets better mileage:lol3::lol3::thumbsup
:agree2:

·
Registered
134 Posts
our trucks....

...are already better than theirs anyway. Now when he beats him amab145 is going to have to lie about the smarty or listen to the ford guy cry that he wasn't stock. Even though the 6.4 has got a set of twins hardly stock.

Good luck and make sure you let us know the outcome and settings you chose.

Eddy:woot:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Keep us updated after the race and let us know who won!! I am sure that you should not have any issues. Heck you may even have to turn and go back to finish pulling him up the hill after he blows all the guts out of his PowerJoke.:rof

·
Registered
882 Posts
6.4 are gutless. The only reason they pull at all is that the 450 is geared so tall (4.30 or 4.88). You will kick his a$$ without the smarty.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
well i dont think with that much weight that it will make his clutch slip. They are stouter than people think. I had mine on #9 with my 25 ft Pj and 6 tons of feed on it and i could run it as hard as i wanted to without it slipping. so i dont see the problem with that trailer only weighing 7-8k

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
The gearing in the f-450's suck , my uncle can barely do 70 at akmost 3200 rpm , hell be revved out . But if you do lose your doing something wrong :lol3::rof

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2008 F-350 diesel tows "ok" but can only get 10 mpg towing,13.5 city and at best 16 hiway unloaded.I decided to buy a 2007 3500 4X4 DRW 6spd manual 5.9l after driving a friends with a 13k load.The Cummins is a Very strong high torque engine and WILL outpull the 6.4 hands down especially in a 6spd manual,and you can get 50% better fuel mileage towing with the Cummins too.The F-450's are either 4.30 or 4.88 gears and most hotshotters are only getting 6-8mpg towing!Terrible for a $10,000.00 engine!That's why I bought my Dodge Cummins!Kick his :butt:

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you really want to see what your truck can do,why run the Smarty?

Its pretty lame IMO to try and race a stock truck with a modified truck.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts