Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever towed a 29' tag along camper (approx wt 6,200 lbs) with an attached boat (approx 4,200 lbs)? What modifications would need to be done to camper?

·
Registered
991 Posts
put brakes on both your trailers.

i know the gooseneck guys up here that pull two trailers only initiate the brakes on the back trailer so as not to fishtail.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I pulled doubles for years. You MUST have a sway bar on both trailers or you will be two laning it really bad. I didn't have a sway bar on the back trailer the first time I took it out and what a mistake that was. I have never had brakes on the back trailer but you need them on the front trailer. I pulled that combo with 4 different CTD's and also with my wifes 01 Off Road gasser and never had a problem. I pull a much better setup now :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Remember that 65' is the legal limit. Thats from front of your truck to the rear of what your hauling. Lots of people get by with longer than legal but if you get caught :CRY:

Maybe different in your neck of the woods though.

Also, I believe that towing bumper to bumper is illegal, it has to be gooseneck or fifth wheel to pull a double. Again, lots of people do it.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Also, I believe that towing bumper to bumper is illegal, it has to be gooseneck or fifth wheel to pull a double. Again, lots of people do it.
Depends on the state. Some states don't allow any kind of doubles towing and some states allow up to 75 feet. Some states allow two ball and some only allow pin and ball. Check your state for regulations

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Federal regulations permit doubles if the truck is a truck. Which means that if a full trailer can be pulled by the truck (fifth wheel, or gooseneck) then a semi trialer is allowed if the semi trailer is legal with lights, brakes, safety chains and whatever.

Since no State my enact laws which restrick inter state commerce, you are good to go with a legal comination.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In oregon it is illegal unless you have a cdl and okayed for doubles,I think ,unless new laws

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Federal regulations permit doubles if the truck is a truck. Which means that if a full trailer can be pulled by the truck (fifth wheel, or gooseneck) then a semi trialer is allowed if the semi trailer is legal with lights, brakes, safety chains and whatever.

Since no State my enact laws which restrick inter state commerce, you are good to go with a legal comination.
That is an incorrect statement for RV's.
Here is the towing laws state by state
http://www.cyberbiker.ca/attach/TowingLawsbyState.xls

Your statement is for TRUCKS. If you go by that regulation you better have a CDL, a pretrip inspection book and a log book.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Wow, I'm just too much of a chicken sh*t to tow a trailor hooked up on a trailor!!11!!1. I'd be worried about the trailor I couldn't see..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts