Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they said it couldn't be done...tow a 5th wheel with my RAM the way I have set up, short bed with RAMBOX. It was a challenge but I finally got it done. My setup is a Curt 16K Hitch CURT Manufacturing - CURT E16 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Rails #16116 with bed rails using the frame kit Search Results for 16426 and what really makes it work is using the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder 5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret - 16,000 lbs Reese Fifth Wheel King Pin RP61452 I bought the Hitch and install kit off Amazon and got a great price on both. The Sidewinder I got from eTrailer. Very good to work with! I had the hitch installed yesterday by a shop close to me and they also installed a wiring kit Curt 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Custom Wiring Harness w/ 7-Pole Connector - 7' Long Curt Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring C56070 into the bed of my truck in a spot that did not affect the RAMBOX or the bed. I have a Bakflip bedcover and it fits perfect over the hitch. My neighbor and I installed the Sidewinder on my Arctic Fox 29-5E. All I can say is that it towed great going for a quick spin around the neighborhood. Tracked well and very easy to hook up and take down. I did have to modify the handle of the Curt Hitch as it had too much pull distance but that was easy, just drilled a new hold for attaching and then cut it back a couple inches. I will get the lock tab welded back on soon but for now good to go!. Hopefully this will help others that have a short bed with a RAMBOX setup that have been told it can't be done, well it can but you just have to work at it. The issue is only that you lose the area above the wheel wells but if you get a hitch that has a handle that either rotates or that can be modified you are good. I have a buddy who did the same thing but used a Demco 5th wheel hitch. You DO NOT want to get a slider hitch with the RAMBOX. If you only have a short bed you can use a slider or what I did the Sidewinder (which I think is much better). If you decide to go with the Curt Hitch be advised that Reese Sidewinder will NOT work with the new “Q” style, you must get the “E” style hitch. Has to do with the wedge that gets installed. Well hope this helps others with RAMBOX!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I have ben towing for years with the Airborne Sidewinder they are a great hitch and if and when I ever sell my 5th wheel I will reinstalled to OEM pin box
and keep the Sidewinder for the next 5th Wheeler.

I moves the pivot point back about 2 feet or so and allows for squeezing into some tight spots a lot easier.

Awsome hitch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
:worthless: pics please

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll help the thread out.

8" of bed clearance. Door does rest against 5th wheel when fully open...but as you can see, there is plenty of room for access.

The release handle needs to be shortened to work (I took 2" inches out of it). The slider is not necessary using the sidewinder. I do however like the slider because I can move the hitch out of the way to place the bed divider in front of it creating a storage space in front of the hitch. I just have enough clearance to work the slider handle so no mod needed for that. I may still consider shortening it in the future if/when I remove it. NOTE: Those are the curt rails which are 43" wide. Some rails are 48" which will make clearance tight and may or may not work.
Clearance between pinbox and BakFlip down on the first panel creating the 17" or so deep covered storage. Enough room for a couple 2000 watt generators and a gas can.

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
I looked into the Sidewinder pinbox system back when I was researching pulling a 5th wheel with a short bed truck. They seemed cool but I rear too many negative reviews which had me wondering if it was something I'd want. Hope it works out for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I looked into the Sidewinder pinbox system back when I was researching pulling a 5th wheel with a short bed truck. They seemed cool but I rear too many negative reviews which had me wondering if it was something I'd want. Hope it works out for you. :thumbsup:
I am curious where the negative reviews came from...if there is a problem area I would sure like to know about it so I can be on the lookout and/or work a fix before an issue arises. The reviews I found when researching it were mostly positive with most issues being with the trailer or hitch and not the pinbox itself.

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
Ya know its been so long that I cant remember specifics. I want to say the negative stuff pertained to hitching and unhitching, potential stress on trailer frame, etc..... If you Google questions about the Sidewinder hitch you may find some people pretty adamant about not using the hitch. Who knows.....but it was enough to stop me from trying it. :confused013:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ya know its been so long that I cant remember specifics. I want to say the negative stuff pertained to hitching and unhitching, potential stress on trailer frame, etc..... If you Google questions about the Sidewinder hitch you may find some people pretty adamant about not using the hitch. Who knows.....but it was enough to stop me from trying it. :confused013:
I read of similiar issues and evaluated all of them (even to the point of discussing this design with some of the mechanical engineers I work with) and am comfortable with it. I bought a solid trailer that was designed to run with the stress of an extended pinbox and feel that the weak link in ths system is most likely the fifth wheel itself. I will be keeping an eye on all of it though!

It is harder to hook up as you need to have everything lined up straight wih the kingpin and wedge. After years of driving professionally, I like a challenge and the opportunity to improve my driving skills. It is still quicker to hook up than messing with some weight distributing hitches even when taking a few tries to line everything up.

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
Good to know, and keep everyone posted on how it works out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wonder if you could have gone with say b&w? Im a fan of being able to use my bed with out the rails
If you mean using the B&W gooseneck to fifth wheel rail adapter...sure, a person could definitely do that! If I was willing to wait a couple more weeks and pay the shipping to Alaska I would have gone that route. But summers can be short in Alaska and the convenience & expenses of no rails was not worth the wait.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the b&w turnover gooseneck. then I purchased the 5th wheel companion slider
For anyone considering a Sidewinder...

Do not use the 5th Airborne Sidewinder with any of the following:
  • Curt Q5 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • PullRite SuperGlide 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • Reese Trail Boss 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • B&W 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • Colibert 208BW 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • Hi-Rise gooseneck-to-5th-wheel adapter by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Bulldog and Reese
  • Any other gooseneck-to-5th-wheel adapter

·
Registered
175 Posts
8/12/15 UPDATE: After a couple thousand miles of towing here are a couple observations for you.

• The design does add some noise as the wedge will always have just the slightest bit of movement before it contacts the throat of the fifth wheel. This movement can be a bit unerving during slow speed turns and makes a helluva racket at slow speeds on uneven ground.
  • I would not recommend a hitch that has a flat fifth wheel plate like the Curt E5 but a cast head like the Reese Titan so that the wedge has a larger contact area. The plate design has a small contact patch accelerating wear and contributing to the aforementioned movement.
  • The turret is designed to be tight to resist sway, but this has the side effect of allowing the trailer to track off to one side or the other at times.
  • Also concerning the turet; the first couple hundred miles it pivoted smoothly but has now started to jerk. I retorqued the turret bolts to 40 ft lbs from per 45 ft lbs per Reese but this didn't help much. The only thing they could offer was to take it apart and add some white lithium grease to it. I applied grease when I assembled it and it is designed to work without grease...I shouldn't have to add grease at this point and I am doubtful it would help.
  • The 5th Airborne option works wonderfully greatly improving the ride and dang near eliminating chucking.
  • I do like the way the trailer tracks with the pivot point further back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
UPDATE: After a couple thousand miles of towing here are a couple observations for you.

• The design does add some noise as the wedge will always have just the slightest bit of movement before it contacts the throat of the fifth wheel. This movement can be a bit unerving during slow speed turns and makes a helluva racket at slow speeds on uneven ground.
  • I would not recommend a hitch that has a flat fifth wheel plate like the Curt E5 but a cast head like the Reese Titan so that the wedge has a larger contact area. The plate design has a small contact patch accelerating wear and contributing to the aforementioned movement.
  • The turret is designed to be tight to resist sway, but this has the side effect of allowing the trailer to track off to one side or the other at times.
  • Also concerning the turet; the first couple hundred miles it pivoted smoothly but has now started to jerk. I retorqued the turret bolts to 40 ft lbs from per 45 ft lbs per Reese but this didn't help much. The only thing they could offer was to take it apart and add some white lithium grease to it. I applied grease when I assembled it and it is designed to work without grease...I shouldn't have to add grease at this point and I am doubtful it would help.
  • The 5th Airborne option works wonderfully greatly improving the ride and dang near eliminating chucking.
  • I do like the way the trailer tracks with the pivot point further back.
Keep the updates coming MoparBob, it might be awhile but I do plan on going this route unless I start hearing negative reviews. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
9/21/15 UPDATE: After thoroughly greasing the turret, it pivots much smoother. My advice...don't skimp and lather that baby up! You will thank yourself for it later! Most of my complaints listed in my post on 8/12/15 have been addressed since greasing the heck out of the turret assembly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
9/21/15 UPDATE: After thoroughly greasing the turret, it pivots much smoother. My advice...don't skimp and lather that baby up! You will thank yourself for it later! Most of my complaints listed in my post on 8/12/15 have been addressed since greasing the heck out of the turret assembly.
What is the actual pivot bearing made of. If it is the slick plastic then greasing it with regular grease is a really bad thing. It will also cause the hopping that you described. Petroleum grease will eat the plastic making it soft and sticky. I have learned this over the years dealing with cranes and telescoping forklifts that have the plastic wear pads instead of actual rollers.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts