Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L, and the owner's manual states I can tow 25,000 lbs with a fifth wheel setup, and only 20,000 with the gooseneck. Anyone tow 25,000 lbs with the fifth wheel? Curious how well it towed. I am looking to tow a 16,200 lb excavator plus the trailer.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have a 2022 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L, and the owner's manual states I can tow 25,000 lbs with a fifth wheel setup, and only 20,000 with the gooseneck. Anyone tow 25,000 lbs with the fifth wheel? Curious how well it towed. I am looking to tow a 16,200 lb excavator plus the trailer.
Thanks
You will surpass the tire/wheel weight rating with the pin weight

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Does the manual state that for a 2500? Those ratings seem a bit high for an SRW.

Reactions: krs and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Make sure there isn't an asterisk that says something like "when properly equipped". That can mean a ton of things on the truck like wheels, tires, airbags, gear ratio, proper pin weight etc.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Does the manual state that for a 2500? Those ratings seem a bit high for an SRW.
I wonder if it is a typo? My book says the same thing, '21 2500. However, the book also says 27k GCWR, so using that 25k trailer is way over but close to a 20k gooseneck. Now, with that said, I don't pay much attention to some of Rams specs:)

Oem tires are good for 7280, so maybe 3-4k pin weight if the bed is not full of heavy stuff. With a flatbed trailer and a moveable load, he can control pin weight.

Reactions: Lins

·
Premium Member
515 Posts

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Bag it and go!
In reality, though, that’s too much weight for a srw truck except maybe a short infrequent haul.
But if you can manage the pin weight, the truck will pull it. iDa never bought a 2500 though if I had an 8ton excavtor and a big gooseneck to pull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. Would a Ram 3500 dually with a payload capacity of 5245 lbs, and a tow rating of 32,710 lbs be enough to haul this 16,000 lb excavator and gooseneck? My concern is the payload capacity. How do I calculate the approximate weight on the front of the gooseneck?

·
Unregistered
23,879 Posts
The excavator and trailer weight 25,000 lbs. 20% is 5,000. Am I cutting it too close? Should I get airbags?
You can add air springs if you want, and I've been thinking about doing it. But that's primarily to avoid having to adjust the headlights when pulling 25K.

Yes, those 5K, or so, on the gooseneck do compress the springs a bit, but it's nothing they can't deal with.

·
Unregistered
23,879 Posts
Sometimes you have no choice. With 16K on the trailer, I have to put about 5K on the gooseneck.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
These numbers on this chart are not absolute - your max tow and payload will depend on your truck trim level as well. My payload is 5400lbs - so I would not take this chart as the final word your particular truck.

Font Parallel Circle Number Rectangle

1 - 20 of 60 Posts