Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back to towing my equipment around with me rather than sub work out since things are tight and slow.

My question is when I push in the OD button onthe lever it doesnt do anythingor light up or nothing.
So either a breaker or relay or selinoid?

So the question is:

I tow a 11K-14K trailer 2 times a week and I dont know if I should or should not be able to hit the button to disengage it for the haul?
If I cruise 65 my RPMs are good.
If I'm in the city I think I should turn off OD??

Is that right?

If any knows about that button OK how to fix or diagnose pls let know also. Thks T

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,031 Posts
basically you need to only turn it off if you find your load so hard to pull that the tranny keeps shifting out and in of OD. At least that how I go by. If works well in od and your torque Con. if locked up then I say good to go. Also if you have a tranny guauge you can monitor it that way as well. As far as your light not coming on when you turn it off. You might want to check your manual and see sequence that you do with the key to get all the lights on the dash to show up. That is if they had that option in 99. I thought I could do it on my 96 but I might be confused with the durango I had. When you push the button do you feel it working? As in changing gears?

·
Registered
882 Posts
What I learned when I had a second gen auto is turn it off and then manually allow it to grab od when on the highway turning over 1700rpm. The trans will grab od at a lower rpm if allowed and that it really hard on the converter and will lead to a shudder and eventually a failure. Also if you slow down and the rpm's drop turn od off too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
. When you push the button do you feel it working? As in changing gears?

No light no change in gears! Not doing anything! I feel the button move in and out but not turning off or on OD.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I cycle the key the light works.

When I hit the button no light and no change in turing OD off.

Should I just change the button?
What else can it be?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well just to update!
I almost bought a 100 selenoid and a 30$ button switch.
I finally fixed the OD button!
It was a bad wire that didnt ground the OD switch so nothing would happen. I never seen a wire bare so entirely burnt.

Well I'm no electrical guy but I got It!:hyper:

·
Registered
370 Posts
atta boy! now why did that wire fry?

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah.. why would that fry like that.. should be low current.. glad you fixed it..

on my truck i usually turn the od off and do feel the tranny behave different..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unless im on the interstate my o/d is off. If im towing on the interstate then i run t/h untill i hit a big pull and the trannie shifts down then i manually lock out the o/d until i reach the top of the hill. This eliminates all the "hunting for gears" that my truck likes to do! My t/c has always been very loose since day one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts