Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why Dodge didn't choose to install these from the factory back in 1999 amazes me. Regardless, I don't have any tow hooks, and I'm having trouble finding a kit to install these on my truck!

What have you 2nd Gen Ram owners done to add tow hooks to your vehicle?

I was told that Mopar made a kit for this purpose for these trucks, but I'm either not finding it on their website, or it has been discontinued (the air dam on the truck's front bumper even has a scribe mark where I believe a cut-out for the hooks would go).

Do you guys know of any place that sells a kit to add hooks to the front of these vehicles? If I had a choice I'd prefer shackles to hooks, but either one is better than nothing!

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah i cant exactly remember where online I go mine but the are rated for 5,000lbs each. Mounting them were easy, nbd. However, I have the lowered sport front pumper so I trimmed out of it to make room for the hooks. great hooks, heavy duty. Put some sort of clear coat on the though.. Starting to show surface rust.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
Quote: Why Dodge didn't choose to install these from the factory back in 1999 amazes me. end quote.
Because only one out of 500 trucks or so are exposed to the need for them. The kit was long discountined. After all it is a 10 year old truck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because only one out of 500 trucks or so are exposed to the need for them. The kit was long discountined. After all it is a 10 year old truck.
Be that as it may, do you know of any currently available solutions for this problem? I'm sure the age of the truck may have something to do with the discontinuance of certain products for it, but I know of a lot of guys who use their front tow hooks on a fairly regular basis in this part of the country.

I live in Colorado, and I spend a lot of time out in the country or up in the mountains. We've got rough roads, and rough weather in the high mountains. Obviously I don't like to get myself stuck, but it would sure be nice to have some hooks up front if I ever do :)

I'm not a welder, and I'm not a mechanic. As such, I'm hoping to find some sort of kit for this purpose, rather than trying to fabricate something myself!

·
Illinois Chapter President
1,157 Posts
Is there room to drill some holes and bolt a set on? I have factory tow hooks from a 2009 for sale. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
879 Posts
ouch. $150 for tow hooks?? I just bought two at Agri-Supply, think they were $10 each. I need to get the installed, and I'll do a write up when I do it. Oh...that list....lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dodge tow hooks installed. They make a nice step if you are checking the ATF.

Reactions: Mruark
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.