Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed today the tow haul mode was not working the light came on the dash but no change in shifting and downshifting???

Any Ideas

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does it not lock out 6th gear when the lights on cause that what tow haul does and it also has harder downshifts to stop your loads, at least that how mine works.
i only have 1500 miles on my 5500 so i might not be able to help much.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does lock out 6th but it does not downshift like it used to, someone told me if the truck senses ouside temps to cold the agressive downshifting will be disabled by the tcm. I do not know if this is true or not never noticed it before.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes it does lock out 6th but it does not downshift like it used to, someone told me if the truck senses ouside temps to cold the agressive downshifting will be disabled by the tcm. I do not know if this is true or not never noticed it before.
I noticed this the last couple weeks too. It wouldn't pull it down as far. Seemed to be stopping in 4th gear rather than going all the way down to 3rd. I haven't driven it enough lately to be sure though. Don't remember it doing that last year.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Noticed today the tow haul mode was not working the light came on the dash but no change in shifting and downshifting???

Any Ideas
mine does that from time to time. but it always goes back to normal once the truck has been restarted

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Thanks for the input guys..

CTD how did you you make out with your tranny temp gauge ??
havent gotten anywhere at the moment. ive just been running in tow/haul constantly and havent had any real issues. It seems that if I run in regular mode, with the trans already heat-soaked, w/ tc unlocked at around 12-1300 rpm, the gauge will go from 100 to 190 in about 15 seconds.

Im not 100% sure its not my sending unit. Ive just been swamped with work, and since its still running, havent had time to get in the barn to work on....

In one sense, id almost just prefer something to break so I know what to fix! :confused013: :doh: :hehe:

·
Registered
475 Posts
The tranny has to be warm to see hard downshifts, if thats not it try unhooking the batteries for at least 15 min to reset the tranny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts