Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I agree, I think it's just a software thing. Every so often something finished initializing before something else and those switches just get ignored. Your lock-unlock trick is the best fix. It's saved me a half dozen times now!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dang, that's crazy. I took everything apart and checked everything with an ohm meter, and everything checked out good. So I put it all back together and now it's working. Idk what's going on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess we need to just treat it like an old computer and go slow with getting in and hitting buttons. If its software then down the road someone will write a program to fix it, hopefully.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My ram is doing the same thing but with added headlight issues. My headlights are staying on in the parking light position. My truck is currently in the shop with no hope in sight. They told me the master tech wants to replace the transfer case. I was shocked that they think an intermittent non-working control knob could be a bad transfer case when I have zero issues changing 2wd into 4wd when the knob/lower control buttons are working. Here is the video of my issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk6UmlP_B7k

·
BC Chapter Executive
1,237 Posts
This is interesting, I've had the dead buttons several times as well on startup, for me they always came back after getting above 15mph or so.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Is anyone with a 2015/16 model year having this issue? I only have 700 miles on my 2015 but have not had this issue yet (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution found! Please read! I took an idiot light ( light bulb probe) and found the power wire , I then added another power wire to it. When looking at the back of the control stack there is a plug. The bottom of the two wires there will be a lighter colored wire. Tap into that with one of those blue connectors and find another power source. Mine is a constant on power and it still shuts off some how. Never had any issues with this afterwards. Works like it should from the factory

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happened to my truck also. Any new updates? Tried everything in this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just lucky I guess, but it’s working now. Started truck and left drivers door open with keys removed from ignition. Checked a few fuses and connections in engine compartment. Probably 5 minutes later, started truck and all was well.
:blues:

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I know an old thread, but mine just did this exact thing an hour ago. All the switches and what they work was dead. It drove just fine and all outside and other lights OK. NO codes or CEL. Turned it off, let set a few min then all is OK. NO mods, all stock. This is the first time. Any new info on this? Calling dealer tomorrow.

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts
Looks like it caught up with you.
All these problems are starting to freek me out. I got to stop reading here. Not a problem with mine. Mine has keyless go so it better work.
these trucks are going to be so much fun when they are 10+ years old, maybe sooner. When all the 7 year extended warranties are done. How many people will feel good about taking one of these way out in the forest? Problem is that all the other new vehicles are the same as these.
Seems like the consensus is a software issue causing it.
@Ram4Sam may know if anything new has happened since he had posted a few times about what was done to his truck trying to fix it.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I found no cause and no real fix for any of this. Mine now works again, till it doesn't. Seems they all come back on their own at some point. Probably happening a lot but durring the day won't notice it if you don't use them. I believe this always happens at start up and not when going down the road, for now. Fun times

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,607 Posts
Looks like it caught up with you.

Seems like the consensus is a software issue causing it.
@Ram4Sam may know if anything new has happened since he had posted a few times about what was done to his truck trying to fix it.
Yes........after a year and many visits/repair attempts....they told me to live with it. The fix?....lemon law buyback:sneaky::whistle:
The tech who did all the work (and threw a ton of parts at it) was a high school drinking buddy who knew his stuff so I had access to the back story and communication between the dealer and FCA. Their best and last guess was a software issue between all the different modules these trucks have, causing one or more of them not to
"wake up" during start up, leaving the switch panel dead. During my year of frustration with the truck, I found out cycling the lock/unlock for the doors, all the switches would work again.
Search on youtube "ram4sam' There are a couple of videos I made of it happening.....(I'm on a work computer so I couldn't post the link)

Sam

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I knew it wasn't a mechanical or even a fuse issue. My Ram never sees water or off road. So when the wrong combo of things happen in the right nano-second everything says no way. Door locks, key cycling and clicking your heels while touching your nose always works. Just so long as TH, EB, and trailer brakes work. The heated and cooled seats I can live without.

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts
@Ram4Sam Thank you for the final word on this issue.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts