Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I got in my truck tried to turn on Tow/Haul mode and it wouldn't work. Tried the traction control and the exhaust brake and the same thing. I had to restart my truck three times before they started working again. Has anyone else had this issue. Also if you have had the issue what was the fix. Also talked to the dealer and they acted like I was making it up. I'm beginning to regret getting rid of my old 12 valve it was simple.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had this happen 2 or 3 times but they always started working after driving for a few minutes. Never took it to the dealer because I figured that is how they would react.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how my dealer always act they never find anything wrong, and act like its not possible for that stuff to happen.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,605 Posts
I had this a couple of weeks ago, same symptoms, an half hour later, it was working again. I called the dealer to tell them I was bringing it in:banghead: Of course, the tech couldn't duplicate it........A tech on the TDR posted this about it.....

"The ICS Integrated Center Stack is another controller on the truck. It may have locked up just like any other controller can do. Just turning off the key may not do it. You might need to let it go to sleep. Shut it off, remove the key, open and close the driver door and then wait a minute or two. It takes a couple of minutes for all the modules to go to sleep, so the longer you can wait the better. Not very convenient, but the only other way is to full a fuse, not that it is any more fun than waiting!"

Sam

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this a couple of weeks ago, same symptoms, an half hour later, it was working again. I called the dealer to tell them I was bringing it in:banghead: Of course, the tech couldn't duplicate it........A tech on the TDR posted this about it.....

"The ICS Integrated Center Stack is another controller on the truck. It may have locked up just like any other controller can do. Just turning off the key may not do it. You might need to let it go to sleep. Shut it off, remove the key, open and close the driver door and then wait a minute or two. It takes a couple of minutes for all the modules to go to sleep, so the longer you can wait the better. Not very convenient, but the only other way is to full a fuse, not that it is any more fun than waiting!"

Sam
Thanks for that info I figured it was something simple. The thing that aggravates me is that my dealer said there is nothing we can do about it since we have not seen it. I asked him to make a note on my file explaining my issue so if I had problems down the road it was documented. He acted like I was asking for something totally impossible. This is not the first electronic issue that I've had. So I'm just wondering if there is more problems than they want to admit.

·
Premium Member
11,988 Posts
just fyi, and you didn't hear it from me, but i know of at least two pcm trouble codes on 13 and 14 model trucks that chrysler/cummins have no idea at all how to fix...

what they tell us to do is clear the code and let the truck go haha...so even the people who designed the systems don't really know how to fix it if it goes bad...which scares me...a lot

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just fyi, and you didn't hear it from me, but i know of at least two pcm trouble codes on 13 and 14 model trucks that chrysler/cummins have no idea at all how to fix...

what they tell us to do is clear the code and let the truck go haha...so even the people who designed the systems don't really know how to fix it if it goes bad...which scares me...a lot
Well that's great news on a good note the fourth power steering line on my truck has lasted 4k miles. That makes me happy, but all the other problems I've had make me nervous. Don't get me wrong I know new trucks have problems, but the tech department at the dealership seems lost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had this same thing happen about 3 times in the 13000 miles I have on my 2013 ram. Its normally happening when I have my trailer on when I really want to be in tow haul with the exhaust brake on.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Also talked to the dealer and they acted like I was making it up. I'm beginning to regret getting rid of my old 12 valve it was simple.
When my 13 was having issues and the dealer could not duplicate it they acted the same way. My issues occured at startup so I took it upon myself to record each start up and log it. The dealer and the dealer rep could not argue against video and is what eventually led to the buyback.

Next time it happens pull your phone out and document the buttons not working, they cant argue much with that.

Even if they cant duplicate or fix the problem the best thing you can do it have it recorded on an invoice.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When my 13 was having issues and the dealer could not duplicate it they acted the same way. My issues occured at startup so I took it upon myself to record each start up and log it. The dealer and the dealer rep could not argue against video and is what eventually led to the buyback.

Next time it happens pull your phone out and document the buttons not working, they cant argue much with that.

Even if they cant duplicate or fix the problem the best thing you can do it have it recorded on an invoice.
I've had problems at start up my truck has died three times immediately right after start up. What problems were you having?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
All these problems are starting to freek me out. I got to stop reading here. Not a problem with mine. Mine has keyless go so it better work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had problems at start up my truck has died three times immediately right after start up. What problems were you having?

Do you have keyless go? If so I have found on my jeep and Ram that if I press button and shift into drive too quickly (when I am in a hurry) it will die and a bunch of red lights come on. Not sure if that helps you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine did this crap Monday. I turned the truck off, got out and locked/unlocked it a few times with the remote, got back in the truck and everything worked again. Also all my radio presents randomly changed a couple weeks ago, after this junk Monday all my presets were back to what they were a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My radio presets have disappeared twice now. Have not had the tow/ haul act up yet.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Had this happen ONCE. All those buttons wouldn't work. I just waited and suddenly they started working again after about a minute.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
these trucks are going to be so much fun when they are 10+ years old, maybe sooner. When all the 7 year extended warranties are done. How many people will feel good about taking one of these way out in the forest? Problem is that all the other new vehicles are the same as these.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
It would not die on me but I had error messages for ABS and 4WD that would show up and not leave a code.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have keyless go? If so I have found on my jeep and Ram that if I press button and shift into drive too quickly (when I am in a hurry) it will die and a bunch of red lights come on. Not sure if that helps you?
No I do not have the keyless go I have the key. I'm not sure what the deal is but it is aggravating to say the least.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Button quit on me today... got out of the truck and did my banking.., started it up and now everythings fine.., I made a appointment at the local dealer...but now I'm going to cancel it... I don't need any so called techs monkeying around with my truck for days... I need this truck every day !!

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,605 Posts
Mine did it for a second time yesterday.......this time I grabbed my phone and made a quick video showing dash with truck running and video of pushing each one of the non working buttons.

Sam

1 - 20 of 57 Posts