Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently pulled my grandparents' 30 foot 5th wheel (converted to gooseneck). i was pulling up some hills around 55mph and was running in tow/haul in my 06 cummins. it was never wanting to shift out of overdrive. is this normal? or do you automatically need to keep it in "o/d off"? my dad has always had a powerstroke and i've pulled more with it than my cummins and it downshifts alot, but that v-engine should just based on torque/power curves. i know that cummins makes so much of it's power down low rpms, but does this sound ok?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Power on a stocker is around the 1500 rpm mark, so that's about right for 55mph. Typically, i don't see the trani downshift til I get down around the 47mph mark or so unless i power into it, but if your holding the pedal steady and letting it work at 55, you're good to go.

The two differences that i see using the tow/haul mode is that it shifts into 3 and straight to lockup, then 4th and lockup somewhere around 50 if you're being nice to it. I wouldn't be too concerned, but might not be a bad idea to throw some gauges on if you think that trani temp or rear end temp is going to be a problem. That's the best way to tell what's going on.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Powerjokes like to shift...a LOT. Cummins has so much more torque that it rarely needs to shift. Like stated, it sounds perfectly normal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ya, I couldn't believe it the fist time we pulled our 5er through Penn. That thing refused to downshift (almost) I was thoroughly impressed with it. Now if we could get 30MPG, I would REALLY BE IMPRESSED :lol3::lol3:

John :T:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts