Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are somewhat argumentative topics that we seem to discuss on here? I have a semester long project in Mechanical Measurements in which we are supposed to run a experiment/record data ect...

I am thinking hp/tq changes with respect to timing, fuel stretch, or perhaps turbo boost (wastegate hooked up/blocked off ect...). I have access to many different sensors and equipment, flow sensors, temp sensors, pressure sensors, pretty much anything.... Any other ideas?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Best...

Perhaps best box or combination of timing and fueling box!!
Best injectors!!
There are a lot of variables here!
I wonder, can you do such a comparison without (trials) a truck putting on such components.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Best intake, difference between bhaf and true cold air intake

·
Registered
125 Posts
Best intake, difference between bhaf and true cold air intake
I agree as well, what advantage is there really with the BHAF vrs the factory air box after it has been drilled out with two 3" holes ?

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
I agree as well, what advantage is there really with the BHAF vrs the factory air box after it has been drilled out with two 3" holes ?
bhaf has more surface area, and lasts a lot longer than a stock paper filter....

i'd research why the hell Cummins ever used the vp44 in the first place haha

·
Registered
125 Posts
bhaf has more surface area, and lasts a lot longer than a stock paper filter....

i'd research why the hell Cummins ever used the vp44 in the first place haha
I would be interested in the diameter of and length of the bhaf for comparisons sake.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
I would be interested in the diameter of and length of the bhaf for comparisons sake.
hold on...i'll brave the 40 degree temps and smoke a ciggy and check that out real quick...

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
now this is measured in the dark and on the outside of the rubber, so the filter is a lil smaller than this

10.5 inches long, and 10 inches in diameter...and the 4 inch inlet obviously

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there isnt a vacuum between the filter and the turbo then a filter that allows excess air isnt going to help anything although it might be more efficient.

Now, a DEEP knowledge of the VP/primary causes of failure, would be a very interesting task. Will definately consider that as a senior design project.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
If there isnt a vacuum between the filter and the turbo then a filter that allows excess air isnt going to help anything although it might be more efficient.

Now, a DEEP knowledge of the VP/primary causes of failure, would be a very interesting task. Will definately consider that as a senior design project.
you freshman or sophomore? and yes, it would be...maybe see if you can get the school to buy some core vp's off the forum and you could tear into em

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What kills a VP44.

Figure that out for sure and you will get an A+ and probably get rich.
:agree2:

For different initial fuel pressure settings, you could measure:

• Fuel pressure at the VP inlet at various:
    • Loads
    • RPMs
    • Fuel tank levels
  • Temp at various places around the unit, including at least the electronics
It looks like you've got an Airdog... is it an Airdog II by chance? If not, you could find someone near you with one... that'd be a GREAT way to adjust the fuel pressure. Play with it and see how all of the above change.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should be a Sr. but took a semester off for work. Registered as a Jr.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
cold air vs. bhaf would be the easiest to do

How much boost will destroy an hx35? ha ha

1 - 20 of 33 Posts