Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pressed the new dana/spicer ball joints into the housings. instructions are very minimal - "torque upper to 35lb, lower to 140/160 (i guess 150?), then torque upper to 70, advance to next slot (it ended on a slot, so i just put in the cotter pin). that's it. says nothing about setting the sleeve into the upper (kind of a bushing that fits around the upper joint). so, before i torqued to bottom, i tapped the bushing down tight into the hole as it needs the flat side facing out. i then torqued it to 35lb, the bottom to 150-155lb, then the upper to 70lb. it just seems that the housing is a bit stiff to turn by hand, takes some pressure. is this normal?
jon

·
Registered
643 Posts
Are you talking about turning the steering knunkle by hand?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup, by hand

the knuckle is installed and ball joints torqued as per instructions (very minimal instructions), ready for the axle to go back in and bearings installed. i grabbed the knucle with a hand in front and rear, it turns by hand, just seems like it takes a fair amount of pressure to turn it. i expect this normal. the old ones were worn out, they turned real easy.
just asking if this is normal. i am getting my axle joints pressed now, ready to install my EMS offroad part time hubs.
thanks for any input.
jon

·
Registered
99 Posts
if you torqued them to spec then it's normal, whenever i do those ball joints, i just hammer them tight with an impact. it'll be a little tighter at first, but it'll wear in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts