Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is everyone talkin about when there talkin about torque management issue and sum have it turned off? i now its a stupid question but im new to the diesel field and just tryin to figure my truck out and everything

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
could this be the reason my truck wont roast the tires and when i stomp on it act like the fuel cut out on it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Depends on what year truck you have. 01-02 had TM. The only way to disable it is a BD Rad. A smarty will reduce the effects of it but not completely disable it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on what year truck you have. 01-02 had TM. The only way to disable it is a BD Rad. A smarty will reduce the effects of it but not completely disable it.
it is a 2002

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would look in to a BD RAD. I have one and it works well. I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a built transmission. The torque management was programmed to keep from destroying the already questionable factory transmission.
The only downside is it will sometimes throw a DTC. It throws a code because it interrupts the signal to the PCM, speed sensor, and transmission so it's doesn't know the speed or what gear the transmission is in.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes... that is the exact reason you cant "roast" the tires. I'm getting a BD RAD also. I heard it cuts almost a full second off of your 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks everyone. does anyone no a good transmission place near Fort Knox,KY

·
Registered
236 Posts
IMO don't do a local transmission shop. Buy one from DTT, gorend, garmon. Have it built buy some one who builds transmission to be beat on. I just bought a DTT. Im happy with it but I'm mean to my truck. I called them said what I had why my plans were for a turbo and injectors and said build so I can drive like I stole it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much am i lookin at? ball park range

·
Registered
236 Posts
I paid a lil over 7k for mine. But i have billet input, output, and a triple disc converter. I know people who spent 2-2.5k a couple times just to keep breaking parts. So I just went all out from the get go. I'm wanna say its about 3500 for a DTT with no billet parts and converter. I would buy from DTT again because they have good customer service. IMO it's nice to talk to the same person everytime you call.

·
"I'll go all in."
3,104 Posts
I went local on my 95... going back to him for the 01. You have to know what your looking for. You can't just trust any shop to build you a stout trans for a diesel truck. Look for one that atleast has a history with racing or high performance vehicles... preferably diesel vehicles. Also, look for a place thats willing to stand behind their product.

Reactions: RamThisCummins

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
You can get a trans built to hold 400hp for around $3k. I'd recommend doing it once and do it right. You don't want to have to keep pulling the trans. I had mine done by a local builder using a torque converter I bought from a vendor on here. A couple of my buddys had there trans done by this builder so I knew he was good. Only thing I regret was buying the torque converter I did. I wont ever touch anything they make ever again!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can get a trans built to hold 400hp for around $3k. I'd recommend doing it once and do it right. You don't want to have to keep pulling the trans. I had mine done by a local builder using a torque converter I bought from a vendor on here. A couple of my buddys had there trans done by this builder so I knew he was good. Only thing I regret was buying the torque converter I did. I wont ever touch anything they make ever again!!!
This maybe true but then your gonna be pushing it to it's limits if you add a bigger turbo and injectors. Build it to hold more than you'll think you'll need. If you have plans for bigger turbo and injectors build it once and be done. 400hp is a pretty easy number to hit. A HE351 or super b single, 75's and programmer and your 425 or so. Thats just my opinion but you know everyones got one lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How much power do you plan on having?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
IMO don't do a local transmission shop. Buy one from DTT, gorend, garmon. Have it built buy some one who builds transmission to be beat on. I just bought a DTT. Im happy with it but I'm mean to my truck. I called them said what I had why my plans were for a turbo and injectors and said build so I can drive like I stole it.
IF your local transmission shop isnt good obviously you will have problems...
dtts transmissions are no different then the parts they sell

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank for the input. id like to hit atleast maybe 500HP ONEDAY.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IF your local transmission shop isnt good obviously you will have problems...
dtts transmissions are no different then the parts they sell
How many local transmission shops build high performance 47RE's, Allison 1000's and 4R100's. None near me that will supposedly hold the power I'm shooting for. The few I talked to when I started talkin billet parts they said no warranty.

I guess my point is NHRA teams don't go to Jasper to have there engines built.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How many local transmission shops build high performance 47RE's, Allison 1000's and 4R100's. None near me that will supposedly hold the power I'm shooting for. The few I talked to when I started talkin billet parts they said no warranty.

I guess my point is NHRA teams don't go to Jasper to have there engines built.
Wesley, IMO you probably be ok with a single disc converter, valve body, billet apply lever, billet band anchor, billet servo, billet accumulator, good clutches, steels, and bands.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok so now I have to ask a dumb question, what is a BD Rad?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I thrashed my first trans that was supposed to hold 500-600 hp with approximately 450. I paid $4000 for it and ended up spending another $3000 adding parts that were weak in the first trans I had a billet input before, now it has billet flexplate and billet input, intermediate, and output shafts and I have had no issues with the 550 hp or so I am running now. I never expected to reach that so I didn't plan for it. Plan for more than you think you will ever reach JMO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts