Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the posts on the mystery switch. My tc locks before i want it to. Do you all think if i wired a switch to the tc solenoid wire to essentially cut it, would this allow it to unlock at will? My issue is in 4th/od it locks almost immediately causing the engine to lug and smoke at lower speeds

·
Premium Member
15,181 Posts
Simplest thing to do is OD Off until you are up to speed.

To keep codes you need to bypass the lockup circuit and still feed the correct resistance to the ECM or it will throw codes and go into limp mode. A lockup controller is easier than making one but more expensive.

Best solution is tuning that doesn't smoke when the TC locks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Im finding it near impossible to get rid of the rattle and smoke from these bms injectors with my setup at my altitude. It will eitger rattle or smoke. Right now its at the best place i can get it to. Using hpt to tune. Runs really well, but smokes at altitude and cold weather

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Removing CAT increases black smoke out the tail pipe, CAT in these burns black carbon soot.
CAT also supplies slight amount of back pressure to increase spooling and keeps turbo hotter for quicker spooling. Heat is boost energy.
Going to 5" exhaust cuts low speed and rpms boost and throttle response increasing black smoke, less air =s more black smoke.

Correct Smarty UDC custom tuning or HPtuners would be the best option, no switch to mess with every take off.
Most of the non stock injectors with SAC nozzles will low speed low rpms smoke. Custom tuning can remove much of the SAC nozzle smoke.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im running whatever nozzles im supposed to on the 04.5.they are exergy bms 50 hp. They have rattled since day one. My old ones did not rattle. Exergy re tested and said they are fine. According to build, this truck did not come with a cat stock. I have tried all kinds of custom tunes (using hp tuners) that people swear by with no luck. I built a tune off of those tunes which is decent. Runs great at low alt with zero smoke zero rattle. I live at about 10k ft. It does ok, but i have to be really gingerly with the pedal till boost is up. The main issue is the turbo being too big. Im sure the 5 inch exhaust doesn't help, however i do have 2 straight through muffs and a resonator which helps some. Is what it is. Gets good mpg so i know im not too far out of whack.

·
Premium Member
15,181 Posts
Those BMS 50's are part of the problem with the smoke and rattle, big turbo ant high altitude is the other problem. The 5" exhaust is not helping either. As you said at lower elevations it runs good so it is just lack of air, you need compounds if you really want to move the air at elevation and maintain the power levels otherwise you are back to a small single for efficacy.

If you truly have an 04.5, a 325 engine, it had a CAT from the factory. All 50 state engines form 04.5 on were mandated to have a CAT. Not a big deal in your case but all part of the equation.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What's your MAX measured boost?

can try increasing Torque management.

at that altitude, only choices are go to stock OEM new factory Bosch injectors with the VCO nozzles and put the CAT back on.
or
Compound turbos
and tune for altitude.

I've pulled at over 11,000 ft with compounds 20,000+ GVCW, NO smoke even hammering it. Over 14,000 with rig alone, no smoke

Black smoke is wasted fuel and wasted HP.

Look for diesel to hit $4.50 a gal this fall. Saudis and Russian oligarchs are starving.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
First of all what turbo are you running? Sig just says T4? What size tires?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300sxe 63-73 compressor,. 83 divided turbine housing. The stocm injectors were good, but leaking. Got these because i was told they wouldn't smoke or rattle. They do. Cant afford to redo them so i have to live with them.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Even the stock injectors would low rpms smoke with that slow spooling beast air thrasher.

Have your tuner adjust the torque management and switch to stock tire dia. size.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
300sxe 63-73 compressor,. 83 divided turbine housing. The stocm injectors were good, but leaking. Got these because i was told they wouldn't smoke or rattle. They do. Cant afford to redo them so i have to live with them.
You need some custom tuning brotha, that would help a lot with spool. A good tow tune for your elevation will help a lot

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
33" tires. s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm. 83 a/r twin scroll. Pretty sure it's just these sh$t injectors. Wish i could afford to go back to stock.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
If your still running stock tuning that is most of your problem

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's your MAX measured boost?

can try increasing Torque management.

at that altitude, only choices are go to stock OEM new factory Bosch injectors with the VCO nozzles and put the CAT back on.
or
Compound turbos
and tune for altitude.

I've pulled at over 11,000 ft with compounds 20,000+ GVCW, NO smoke even hammering it. Over 14,000 with rig alone, no smoke

Black smoke is wasted fuel and wasted HP.

Look for diesel to hit $4.50 a gal this fall. Saudis and Russian oligarchs are starving.
What would you change on tq management? I am usually around 34psi max boost can get closer to 40 at sea level. No boost leaks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You need some custom tuning brotha, that would help a lot with spool. A good tow tune for your elevation will help a lot
Tried that. No luck. Nobody can tune around my setup and elevation apparently.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just bought a used set of injectors for cheap. Gonna try them and compare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts