Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Torque converter toasted? Help!

693 6
I have a 2003 dodge 2500 4x4 with the ISB 235 cummins (california model). It has a smarty, intake and exhaust. I know these trannies are'nt the strongest stock, so i keep the smarty down on SW3, or SW5 with stock torque managment. Transmission feels like it is slipping pretty bad, especially in second gear. Then i noticed that if i lock the torque converter by holding the truck in second gear and going fast enough for the computer to lock it, the trans dosn'ent slip at all! Same for 2-3 and 4th gears.....if the converter is locked, it dosen't slip and feels great. If the converter is unlocked and i take off from a stop with moderate-heavy throttle.....the tach will just sit at 2200-2300 rpm and the truck will shift into second and third without any drop in rpm. Definetly slipping, like a high stall speed converter in a drag car. Is it possible that my converter is wasted, but the lock-up function still operates? Do you think that my transmission is fine, and it just needs a converter? In that case, what is a good converter to put back in it without completely breaking the bank?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah it is slipping from what it sounds like. When you get an aftermarket converter its basically mandatory to get a valve body as well. Then while you're in there it would be a very good idea to get a billet input shaft and flex plate with new clutch packs. For just a single disk TC and VB youre lookin at $1100 minimum.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to goerend website, they dont list a single disk billet converter. How much are they? has anyone ever used trans_converters from Ebay? They sell a triple disc billet converter for $700. I dont have $1200 to throw at a converter right now, and dont want to settle for a stock converter either. I would love to put a goerend triple disk or a suncoast converter, just dont have the $$$. thanks!

· Registered
1,085 Posts
DTT makes some great tranny parts also if you feel you second gear slippin is you ban not tighting down all the way. DTT mans one out of alum "I cant remeber" other wise it is plastic and has known to stick "like mine did" and toast your second band. But yea do a TC and VB and do should do it for awhile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.