Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the last few months my torque converter has started shuddering. It is now to the point where I can't go over half throttle at low RPMs without it doing so. I am approaching 100K on the clock & the besides the TC the trans is better than new. I have a shift kit installed and it has never slipped or showed any signs of having problems. I understand the benefits of getting a custom TC made but my truck is pretty standard, 35" tires, +150HP programmer, daily driver with occasional 8-10k towing. Future plans are to maybe stack the programmer to get close to 450HP, but nothing crazy. Would I be fine with a single disc or do I need to spring for the triple?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
single should be fine but around 450 the input shaft could break also with 150 horse power tune you are prolly close to 450 so if you are happy with the power your at now leave it and get a good converter and it should hold. however getting a single disk converter isnt the only thing you are gonna need. if i were you i would rebuild the trans get a good single converter and a good flexplate, along with all the little trinkets in the trans strap anchor, front servo. leave it where it is for power otherwise your input might go bye bye and then youll be doing it all over again!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
So the last few months my torque converter has started shuddering. It is now to the point where I can't go over half throttle at low RPMs without it doing so. I am approaching 100K on the clock & the besides the TC the trans is better than new. I have a shift kit installed and it has never slipped or showed any signs of having problems. I understand the benefits of getting a custom TC made but my truck is pretty standard, 35" tires, +150HP programmer, daily driver with occasional 8-10k towing. Future plans are to maybe stack the programmer to get close to 450HP, but nothing crazy. Would I be fine with a single disc or do I need to spring for the triple?
shift kits are worthless in our trucks...t/q,and a valve body would be the least i would do.......i love my tripple disc from suncoast...

·
Registered
189 Posts
The triple leaves room to grow. A shift kit will also make a world of difference. Just don't go the cheap route or you'll be kicking yourself in the long run...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Well we know this:

single does great at 550/1050 so far.
Single drives better.
Single is cheaper.

If you plan on going bigger, then sure get a triple. But there's no reason other than total ignorance if you're not gonna go bigger.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I have a connection & can get a name brand triple disk for the same price as their single. If I leave the programming the same & run the triple disk, what are the odds of breaking stuff? I drive pretty easy & don't drag or do boosted launches or anything.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I have a connection & can get a name brand triple disk for the same price as their single. If I leave the programming the same & run the triple disk, what are the odds of breaking stuff? I drive pretty easy & don't drag or do boosted launches or anything.
Then why would you want a triple disc? That makes no sense whatsoever man. The lockup on a triple disc is harsher. Your truck will drive worse with it. Buying the more expensive or stronger part isn't intelligent in the slightest. Buying the appropriate part for your goals is the smart move.

So why are you wanting the triple disc after I just laid out the facts about 4-5 posts ago and you don't fit the category of needing one? I want to be sure I'm not overlooking something, so that I can help you properly.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Keep in mind the parts will break due to your right foot. Not due to what parts are on the truck at part throttle.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep in mind the parts will break due to your right foot. Not due to what parts are on the truck at part throttle.
I agree a single disc would do the job for me. I was thinking of the triple because I have a desperate friend who has a brand new triple disc that I can get cheaper than a single.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I agree a single disc would do the job for me. I was thinking of the triple because I have a desperate friend who has a brand new triple disc that I can get cheaper than a single.
In that case, if you're okay with the decreased drive quality, then do it. I would!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
triple is much stronger but can be rude if the VB is not built correctly, also they are alot heavier than the billet single which even the stock TC is overtaxing the pump stator support and stator bushing . So if you don't NEED the triple then a single will be great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts