Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Ram 2500 4x2 with no real mods. The problem is that I am sure that my Torque Converter is not going into lockup. I took it to my dealer and his transmission guy is on vacation(it is a small dealer and I do not begrudge a guy his vacation). We did hook up the computer and took it for a ride. The computer says that the converter is getting the signal to shift but it is not doing it. Obviously I have no idea what to do. The trans shifts perfectly into 2-3-4. I am just running a couple hundred RPMs high and when I go to pass I feel the old "fluid drive" of the torque converter not being locked in. Should I park it until my regular guy gets home? What are a couple of things I can check before he gets home? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks The Hulk

My daughter named it that because it is big green and noisy

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Possibly the solenoid for TC lockup has gone out. What happens when you knock it out of OD? Will it lockup then?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give that a try. In searching the website I found an article on locking the TC in early. It spoke of a relay that does this. where is this relay on a 2000. The article was for a mid 90s truck
The hulk

·
Registered
308 Posts
try cleanin ur battery cables and see if u need new batteries

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried taking it out of OD there is an obvious shift into 2 then to 3 would not go into lockup. I turned on the OD and it went into 4 like it was supposed to but no lockup.

I will check the batt terminals I would have a hard time believing that would solve the problem.(would love it if it did) It starts as well as anything can start. The AC runs fine and the headlights do not dim at idle. I will still check them it is a good PM thing anyway.

Thanks The Hulk

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
These trucks are finicky with the voltage and batteries. Try that next.

You could also wire in a TC lockup switch. If the trans locks up then, you've got a problem in the computer. If not, there's something up in the trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Postmortum

I took the truck to My Dodge Dealer (sorry I did not do the Battery terminal thing, Wasn't it anyway).

He checked the tranny with the computer and decided that the trans was not going into lockup. Dropped the Trans pan and found a handful of parts. It was part of the some valve inside the valve body. Good news is that I don't need a trans and torque converter. Bad news is that there are no parts for the valve body. a reman from Chrysler is $1100. Guess I should have gone out before they announced that they were losing money. Anyway that should solve the problem.

The trans guy said he had never seen one of these go out before. I told him welcome to my truck.

Anyway thanks to all you guys that tried to help.
The Hulk

·
Registered
850 Posts
if its just parts in the vb i would just buy a bd for $450 and call ita day. ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts