Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a converter lockup on my truck to blow some smoke and have some fun. But i have a stock tranny, will that affect it much. if i lock it up with stock tranny. thanks

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
My auto truck has 174000 on the clock and all it has is a BD valve body, and the BD torq-lok. The only problem I see is my converter will slip in overdrive. As far as I know, other than that my trans is stock. Some one with some more experience and knowledge will chime in soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I tapped the wire harness behind the air box and ran a switch to ground.. its cheap and easy to do but you need to un lock the converter when you stop... Search the site for the procedure..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what do i do to roll the smoke out at stop signs and lights and ssuch like people on here talk about

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
With the mods you currently have you should "roll the coal" pretty good. But, keep in mind that black smoke is wasted fuel. With fuel prices like they are, I'd try to kee my foot out of it as much as possible. But thats just my 2 cents. Both my trucks have the same mods, and I can black out an intersection with ease!!!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Get going between 5 and 10 or so and hit the switch then lay on the gas pedal. A buddy of mine was doing it at the indy nationals back at the beginning of june and we had people completely stopping in the middle of the road because they couldn't see anything. Just make sure you're not going too slow or you'll stall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I installed the switch when I still had a stock tranny. Had about 140,000 miles on er. I was told it is not good to let them shift in lock up. I knew i would be replacing it anyways so I went ahead and played around with it. I noticed that my torque converter started slipping the more I used the switch. It was a lot of fun but very unreliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts