Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me a list of items i need for this job or does someone have a kit for it. And also how to do this. I have heard people talk about it. I know what it does, but how it works doesnt make much sense to me. Thanks

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
All Dodge Cummins trucks with automatic transmissions from 1994-on-up have lock-up converters stock.

The torque converters have clutches in them that engage automatically at light throttle and while cruising, eliminating any and all torque converter slippage and improving fuel economy and power transfer while reducing transmission temperatures. If engaged under too much power, the clutches slip and asplode.

Aftermarket converters have really good clutches that don't slip and asplode as easy. A lot of guys on the track manually engage lock-up a second or two into the run.

Now, how do the manual lock-up switches work... The 94 and 95 transmissions just use a 12 volt plug. I don't know about the later transmissions, I don't think it's much more complicated though...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts