Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'07 2500 5.9L 4x4 trans, tuned, in&outs, etc...'02 2500 Single/long in tank fuel pump, lines, gauge
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the transmission in my 02 2500 rebuilt at a shop near where I broke down and didn't really have the opportunity to research or find a tranny builder. The guy who did it seemed knowledgeable but also seemed like a salesman. The truck drives great and tows great after the rebuild but I am fixing some leaking lines so I pulled the inspection plate and was wondering if there is anyway to identify the converter that he put in. It's painted kind of a medium blue color and the only identifier I can find on it is a plate that's stamped with the number 20. If no one can identify the builder of it can anyone at least tell me whether it is stock or not? The trans shop did give me a 100,000 mile warranty on all parts and labor after I made my concerns of not being able to verify what he was actually using and not having time to research his work so I assume he wouldnt do that unless he knew it would last. Here is some pictures. Also would there be anyway as far as just driving to know whether it is single or triple disc? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
22,237 Posts
It is not a tripple disc unless you paid over a 1000 dollars for it. Most standard good ones are about 450, cheapest stock about 200 wholesale at Transtar.
I suggest, with such a good warranty just drive it and service it as he directs.
Otherwise look at your receipt/work order, and maybe just ask him.
I doubt there is any way to tell unless you see a label on it.

·
Registered
'07 2500 5.9L 4x4 trans, tuned, in&outs, etc...'02 2500 Single/long in tank fuel pump, lines, gauge
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my paperwork says the torque converter was $900 and all the other charges are lumped into one but nothing is specified. He said if he listed all parts and cost that if it failed they would try to only cover each part that failed instead of rebuilding everything that was damaged again if for some reason he was not working there anymore. Don't know if that's bullshit or not but makes some sense to me.

·
Registered
22,237 Posts
They did not list a brand or PN of the TC? But 900 may be Tripple I do not know. Ask him. He know what he puts in for what price. Their warranty service depends on their integrity. 100k for a trani is exceptionally high, usually 12/12 to 3/36k. Not a lot of problems of something breaking and damaging other things. usual isues re TC, Clutches wear and most of all electronics. Well taken care of tranis usually last 100-250K plus occasional electronics, plus fluid services.
What did he charge for whole job, did they do R&R?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I walked out of there for $3500 for the full rebuild but when he quoted me the price I told him I would just order a new built one online and pay a little more to actually know what is in it and that's when he offered the straight 100k warranty instead of the normal 3/36 that they would offer. He said he was certain he would build it the best around for that price and that he knew it would last and wanted to keep my business. The shop has been around for 20+ years with 3 locations so I guess that bodes good for me. So there isn't any obvious difference you can feel in towing If you have a single billet disc or triple billet disc? I'm finally mechanically inclined but transmissions completely baffle me. Do any builders just change out the internals or add more discs to the original case or do they always just source whole new converters?

·
Registered
22,237 Posts
Other than some "Billet" parts normally stock rebuilds all use the original hard parts and replace only whet is needed. Then clutches and seals and sometimes electronics or a valve body with electronics. So his price including the extra for a better TC is about right and pretty much the same as anybody else like AAmco or other local shops. One with billet input and so on runs about 5-6k. I have heard extra clutch layers but do not know much about it.
I am sure you are fine so long as he used good quality electronics.

What were your original issues that you needed rebuild for? Miles on it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased the truck for 3k knowing it needed a new transmission, most times it wouldn't even shift out of first and if it did it would slip and struggle on every other gear. He said lots of clutches in there were snapped apart. Dash on the truck says 181k when I bought it but it looks like it has been driven more than that but it could have just sat for a while too. The motor runs perfect and the oil is extremely clean even at the first 7500 mile change I did it still wasn't dark black like my 07 is after 1 mile with fresh oil it's black as night.

·
Registered
22,237 Posts
PO just drove the trani hard. So you are all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts