Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, the auto in my truck was on its last leg. i took it in because of a shifting problem and turns out that my new gov solenoid and pressure sensor were malfunctioning due to debris contamination. the debris was from my 2nd gear band and torque converter evidently; there were entire strands of clutch fiber from my 2nd gear band that fell into the pan... not bits of fiber but entire portions of it. so it had maybe a month left of driving. my trans shop did a full build, "stage 1.5" with a TransGo master build kit, shift kit, modded valve body, fluid charging in park, upgraded plastic valves to steel (not sure what those were) and an upgraded single disc.

so the tranny turned out great, the shift points are fine, the firmness is quite pleasing and not harsh. my problem is w/ the new converter. i can stall the truck up on the foot brake and it revs to 2250 and builds 20psi; too loose. i need it to be stalling at 1600rpm. the other problem is, the TC clutch wont hold between 1400-1700 when locked up, similar to my old/stock converter. but this is the NEW converter with billet cover, torrington bearings, cnc stator, etc. does this mean im making more than the 500-550 TQ at the wheels than im anticipating? or does it mean that any single disc isnt adequate for 500-600 torque at the motor?

what can i do... and im On a budget. i blew my money on the tranny.

·
Not like the others......
4,190 Posts
Sounds to me like they just put a stock converter with a billet cover back in it. Not really any performance gain, more of a longevity/reliability gain with the billet cover.

G

·
Take it back to the shop that built it, assuming it has a warranty. You shouldn't be able to stall the converter that high, assuming its a "tighter" converter than the stock unit. At some point closer to 1800RPM, it should start to turn the wheels against the brakes.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys, i did some more googling regarding "WIT" that my tranny guy uses as a TC supplier. turns out WIT is "whatever it takes", a pretty comprehensive tranny parts supplier. but they only carry one brand converter; CVC or Consolidated Vehicle Converters. all CVC does is reman stock units for durability but not so much performance.
CVC torque converters incorporate the necessary upgrades to reduce failures. Areas that are know to fail such as pump and turbine blades are reset and re-enforced. Stators are completely disassembled and reloaded with new rollers and springs. Turbine hubs that have a high failure rate are replaced with billet steel hubs. Needle bearings are replaced with new and in most cases upgraded to heavy duty standards. CVC torque converters are super balanced twice! Using state of the art Hines balancers all CVC torque converters are checked for balanced during the set up and tack and after final weld. This makes for a better dynamic running torque converter.
so, that explains why my stall speed didnt seem to come down much over stock, nor improve the TC's ability to hold all my torque during lockup. my guy said that he will remove this WIT/CVC converter, buy it back for what i paid and install whatever converter i bring him for free. another member here offered me an upgraded single disc for $800 but i want to make sure its not just a mostly-stock unit like what i have... otherwise, im stuck dropping $1200 on a Suncoast triple disc from my guy...

btw, is $1200 for a Suncoast Triple a smoking deal or just average?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, id much rather buy parts from them than a stranger... ill check there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts