Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was filling up the windshield washer fluid this morning and noticed that my coolant overflow container is almost empty. What do you guys top off that reservoir with...plain old water or anti freeze?

Thanks,

Grey

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Buy the premix, and keep an eye on it... :doh:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgive my stupidity, but what is the "premix" and where can I buy it?

Grey

·
Registered
397 Posts
You can buy the coolant premixed at any auto parts store that does not have to be dilluted!

·
Registered
382 Posts
:ditto: I agree on just using the premix, much easier. Also, if you add water make sure you use distilled or something like that. Regular old tap water isn't good for the coolant system, could cause funny deposits from the minerals in the water.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I noticed just the other day that my reservoir was down about 1/2 way. I bought antifreeze from my local dodge dealership and mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Is there anything special about the mopar coolant or can any red coolant be used?

I am hoping that there was just an air pocket somewhere in the system and I don't have a leak developing somewhere but I am just going to keep and eye on it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Read your owner's manual. Get the Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula or add distilled water. Don't add just any anti-freeze.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I had called the dealership and talked to the parts guy and he told me I could use any red coolant from any parts store.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was told by a Dodge mechanic to just add distilled water, since there is always some evaporative water loss, but the original coolant fill (the antifreeze, itself) is still in the system.

He told me to add water, only, unless there had been a rupture (catastrophic loss) in the system, until it's time to service the cooling system, do a flush, and refill with fresh coolant; just top-off with distilled water, until you do your next radiator/coolant service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts