Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm finally home from picking up my truck in Texas. Drove GREAT all the way home.....20 hours straight through. Here's my problem though, I stopped by my dad's place to show him and he kinda ridiculed me. I bought a very well maintained '03 2500 QCLB 4x4 with 311,xxx miles on the TRUCK. At 268,xxx it had a new long block installed along with new turbo, injectors, glow plugs, sensors etc.... then had a rebuild auto tranny installed shortly after and finally in 10/10 it got a new TC. Now this thing rode great except it does need new shocks up front (leveled already) and a new tail gate. But for $11,500 I feel I got a good truck for what I'm doing with it (80% daily driver 20% pulling a 24' trailer with a small mower and maybe other stuff). He implied that my axels are way too high miled and I jumped the gun on it. What do you guys think? Did I buy a keeper or do I maybe sell it and buy something else? The inside DOES NOT look like a 300k truck at all. Opinions and service tips are greatly appreciated as this is my first diesel. What do I need to look for going wrong. BTW, I live in Illinois.

·
Registered
322 Posts
for starters, it doesn't have glow plugs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no glow plugs? I'm a gasser guy and did not know this.

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
You have a grid heater, no glow plugs

Sounds fine to me......you have a truck with a motor that has like 45,000 miles on it, along with a new turbo, injectors, etc!

Plus, the trans is basically new and it came from Texas, no salt or rust issues

I think you got a good deal, I see nothing wrong with it, considering all the new and very pricey items it has installed

Where are you located in IL?

Reactions: philandhistj

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
Since it is a 2003, find out what motor and what trans your truck has.....

Pop the hood, and look on the plastic valve cover. On the driver's side, there should be a decal or sticker from Cummins

If it is the HO version, it will say something like ISB 305

Also, look in the glovebox.........for a drivetrain sticker. This will tell you, and us, about the axles, diff ratio, etc

·
Registered
171 Posts
It uses an air heater on the intake, more reliable and easier to service than glow plugs.

Axles are pretty basic, aside from the usual front end issues these trucks have I wouldn't be too worried about it. Personally I would be more worried about the electrical in a truck with that many miles, between corrosion and people adding and removing electronics it could give you trouble down the road, but not necessarily.

Check your valve cover tag on the drivers side to see which engine you have, could be the 250hp or the 305hp. Knowing that will help troubleshooting if you have any issues, also check and see if you have the original style lift pump on the filter housing (mounted off the intake) or the 'upgraded' in tank pump.

Price seems fair considering all the work the po put in to it, post up some pics if you can.

Scott

EDIT: D45 beat me to it

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
I would also be concerned about the front axle hub bearing......

The factory fuel cannister mounted lift pump can be very problematic.....unless maybe it was serviced under warranty and has the retro-fit in tank version

I would flush, fill, and drain every fluid and change all the filters, unless you have very precise and exact maintenance records
New Fuel Filter......do not skimp, get a Baldwin PF7977 if you have a stock fuel system

Oil and Oil Filter
Trans Fluid and Trans Filter
Front Diff Fluid
Rear Diff Fluid
Tcase Fluid
Coolant.....may or may not be needed since the new motor has 45,000ish on it
Check the serpentine belt
Check the brake pads and rotors

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The truck does indeed have the ISB 305 engine in it. As far as the glove box tag it says axels are 9.25" 3.73/11.50 I have a 4 speed auto, thinking the 48RE maybe.....
I for got some "goodies" that came with it-----
Air Bags on rear suspension (ports on bumper)
Brake controller
Some kind of chip from edge, no controller :(
ALL paper work for engine, tranny and TC install
This thing was well cared for and the driver seat is still where it should be. Not beat up on outside edge from entry/exit. Pictures have been taken, will post later tomorrow.

Im in western Illinois, just outside of the Quad Cities.

Taking th truck in on Tuesday for most of the fluid changed. Will do oil and tranny myself this weekend. Is a 3 gauge pod (pyro, trans temp and boost) a good upgrade for monitoring?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would remind my dad that this is not a ford. That's just me, though.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
sounds like a nice truck, since its a rust free texas truck do yourself a favor and have zebart undercoat it before the il salty roads do their wonder.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
id call my dad an idiot then tell him to worry about his own money!

·
Registered
259 Posts
for $12k i would be pretty happy with what you got. sounds like it was taken care of. you're old man is jelous.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome to CF!

Go price that new motor, turbo, TC, Trans, etc. and then see if you still need to ask if you got a good deal. Sounds to me like you got the truck for free.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OUCH, just bought everything for the fluid/filter changes......$176! That's not even the tranny stuff, going to have a shop hook it up and do the torque converter too. Or the axle lube change. At least I will have a record of when it's done. Posting pics after a bit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
12 Posts
truck

Very nice!!!!!!!! You got more than you payed for!!! Fluid changes are expensive for a diesel but once done your good to go for quite a while. Enjoy your truck and you dad will come around once he sees what a nice truck you have............ mileage is not important.... care is!!

·
HI! Im Taylor! Let me help you with that ;)
160 Posts
The truck does indeed have the ISB 305 engine in it. As far as the glove box tag it says axels are 9.25" 3.73/11.50 I have a 4 speed auto, thinking the 48RE maybe.....
I for got some "goodies" that came with it-----
Air Bags on rear suspension (ports on bumper)
Brake controller
Some kind of chip from edge, no controller :(
ALL paper work for engine, tranny and TC install
This thing was well cared for and the driver seat is still where it should be. Not beat up on outside edge from entry/exit. Pictures have been taken, will post later tomorrow.

Im in western Illinois, just outside of the Quad Cities.

Taking th truck in on Tuesday for most of the fluid changed. Will do oil and tranny myself this weekend. Is a 3 gauge pod (pyro, trans temp and boost) a good upgrade for monitoring?
you've got a good setup from the sounds of it and that rear axle will handle any towing you plan to do. the aam 11.50 is the best rear axle you can get from a manufacturer today in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts