Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents have a 6.7 and everytime it has a problem and they take it in to get it fixed the people at the dealership say that the truck has been idling too much and thats the cause of the problem. Its been in prolly 4 times all for different problems. Just wondering if any of you have had a dealership tell you this when you take your truck in.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Haven't been told that myself but I've read about others being told that more than a few times on the various Dodge diesel forums... seems to be a common dealership excuse and a good reason to find another dealership.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
cummins has a news letter that states "it takeshours of idle not minutes to cause problems" if you search on here enough you will find it posted

·
Registered
717 Posts
If your going to let your truck idle, atleast get the high idle feature turned on. They say that when a truck idles, the cylinder isnt how enough to burn the fuel off, thus creating "cylinder wash".

·
Registered
46 Posts
at almost 5 bucks a gallon i dont think the extended idling is gonna be a problem for many people. :$:

·
Registered
717 Posts
at almost 5 bucks a gallon i dont think the extended idling is gonna be a problem for many people. :$:
You got a point there!!:lol3:

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Being in Central Indiana, it's not hard to run across someone that knows somebody that knows somebody at Cummins.

One such is an acquaintance that knows someone who works on the test stand for the 6.7 in Columbus. They have 6.7's that run for months on end. What I hear is you have to build a fire in them and run them hard, or they will soot load the entire exhaust side of the engine. Valves, turbo and exhaust. As everyone knows, this is all related to the emissions control and is the only known weakness in the engine.

Another such knows someone who works for the company the applies the coatings to the various components of the Holset variable geometry turbo. As you know, this turbo does not change the geometry of the vanes and most VGT's do. This turbo has a variable nozzle. There is an actuator rod or rods in there that controls the nozzle. What they have had trouble with on the turbos is soot building up on those control rods. They have gone through something like 4 different designs since the engine was released to manufacture.

This is at least second hand if not third or fourth. It all sounds reasonable, but we all know how information can evolve as it changes hands.

·
Past IL VP
1,430 Posts
Thanks for the insight on that Dad. it sure helps to hear the word from as close to the horses mouth as possible! We've got just under 20K on our 6.7 and it has idled @ times for 10 min @ the most, and KNOCK ON WOOD!! we haven't had a lick of trouble w/ it. we had the O2 sensor replaced and the AX flash uploaded and things are good. milage is up about 2-3 MPG empty and pulling so can't complain a bit!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! :thumbsup I know the truck has never been idled for extended periods of time. Maybe they just arent running it hard enough

·
Registered
395 Posts
see if they will let you get a fooler box and straight pipe for the truck lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just left the Dealer today for a p2000 cel and the mechanic told me I idle too much. I laughed at him and he sad "I know ,they train us to say that". he was kewl thou. He took the time to throughly check the truck out and then explain the high idle bla bla

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm wondering why they don't just offer to engage the high idle for free? I read so many posts where people say they have been charged labor fees to have them do a 10-minute job. Why does Chrysler put the high idle functionality in the software, but not enable its use at the factory?

·
Registered
156 Posts
They told me is was part of the TSB they did on my truck to enable the high idle and explain its operation to the customer.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
The high idle function does not address the issues with the dpf. the high idle is for the engine and not necessarily for the new emissions equipment. The dpf requires a higher velocity of air and higher egt's to function as it was designed. city driving with reduced speeds and no load on the engine causes the egt's to remain low, this can be labled by the dealer as idling too much. stop and go traffic is considered IMO by the dealer as idling too much. My dealer here in Charleston, SC started with the idling too much but, ultimately believed me when I said I wasn't letting it idle too much. I just wasn't driving it at highway speeds long enough to enable the DPF to regen. I tried the keeping the rpm's higher by shifting the auto trans manually. that didn't work. I still got the P2a00, O2 sensor and the p2262 turbo sensor CELs. after reading the owners manual about the Exhaust Brake being used to warm up the engine faster and it stating that the EB will keep the EGTs up. I also heard a couple of guys on this forum running th EB all the time that I would give it a try. So far so good, no CELs to speak of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone know how Dodge/Cummins defines idling. Is it when the truck is park and is stationary? Or is idling considered anytime the rpm's are below a certain level? If this is the case below what rpm is considered idling? With the six speed automatic the rpms are less than 1200 when traveling down the road at 50 mph.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The had a printout of my truck and the first value was 0 - 20 mph and followed by a %. There was not an idle time on my printout.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
see if they will let you get a fooler box and straight pipe for the truck lol

haha im way ahead of you. been trying to convince them to let me do it, no luck so far.

Does anyone know how Dodge/Cummins defines idling. Is it when the truck is park and is stationary? Or is idling considered anytime the rpm's are below a certain level? If this is the case below what rpm is considered idling? With the six speed automatic the rpms are less than 1200 when traveling down the road at 50 mph.
I talked to someone at Cummins and he said idling is defined as whenever the throttle isnt depressed, or something like that. the people at the dealership in town say its whenever the truck is in park.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The stealership that I use tried to tell me the same thing. And finally the technician told me that I only had 15.8% idle time and that was minimal compared to most. So, they can tell you exactly how much idle time you have. Don't let them BS you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts