Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question that I have been pondering over....2002 Dodge 2500 HO Cummins. I used Shell Rotela since around 15,000 miles. Now I have 105,000~ miles. I am religous when it comes to the 5000 miles and change out oil and filters.
Is it to late to swicth over to a synthetic motor oil?
Would it harm the engine?
If so what would suggest and what type of filter would you use?

Any feed back will help.
Thansk Mike B AKA "The Beast"

·
Registered
110 Posts
I personally don't see an advantage to switching to a synthetic. I would stay with Rotella and your service schedule. It works just fine with me. I use that schedule in my truck and my motorhome with Rotella,and NAPA gold filters.

Bill

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently wwent to Fleetgaurd filters. Before that I always used WIX. Now I see the differance.
I cut an old WIX fuel apart and compared to Fleetgaurd and Fleetgaurd won
Thanks for the input
Mike b

·
Registered
99 Posts
i would stay with the rotella. shell makes a top quality diesel oil. I even used to use it in my motorcycles. when I was a professional driver i used shell in all my power units and generators.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I used valvealine blue. Said it approved by cummins

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
There would be nothing wrong with switching, with the miles on the motor and just switching you may not get the extended drain intervals, but you also may....

I would change the synthetic at a normal interval the first time as it will clean out the motor...

Good choice on the stratapore filters, much better than wix in filtration.

I have switched engines (gassers) to Amsoil at 100K and 150K without issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts