Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread basically follows my transmission build. Check it out!

READ THE BOTTOM

Jan 30, 2016: My 47re started going south so I took it to my local trans builder and I got quoted @ $2,400. He said it can hold 600-700 horsepower.

He said it would have a wider 2nd gear band
recon double disc converter
Borg Warner/Red Eagles clutches/gears
not sure about the valve body or anything else...

I asked about a billet input shaft and he said he does not see it necessary because he hasn't seen one break. (Maybe he means with his builds with double disks vs triples)

I don't know... give me your thoughts. Is this too good to be true or what? The trans is getting built as we speak so hopefully it is solid.:hehe::blues:

2/4/16: EDIT: THE TRANSMISSION IS DONE I AM PICKING IT UP TOMORROW. THE TOTAL COMES OUT TO $2,782. DOES IT STILL SEEM TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS MY BROTHERS :)

2/5/16: Picked the truck up, he gave me a run down of the parts he used in the build, showed me some of the old components and such, and then charged me (obviously). Here's the build sheet...

1. Recon Torque Converter HD Triple Disc
2. Master Kit
3. 2 Governor Solenoids
4. New wire harness
5. Bushing Kit
6. Planetary (front)
7. Filter + pan gasket
8. 2nd gear band
9. 14 quarts atf synthetic oil
10. Forward Drum
11. Red eagle clutch set
12. 2/26/16: Accumulator piston & Trans-go shift kit

He additionally told me to come back every 20,000-30,000 miles for a service depending on how I drive. I asked about an aftermarket transmission cooler; he said that mine is just fine. I asked about a deep pan, he said that it would be beneficial.

So boom, I'm on my way! Driving down the road slow initially until the truck warmed up. Gave it a test romp, shifts nice and positive, no slipping, perfect. Mind you the truck is still stock (215hp, 420hp tq)

Here are a few pictures of old garbage he showed me and a happy me:

Now I have some questions for you guys!
1. how much power do you think this setup can hold and for how long? (Yes, I am aware that with a triple you should have a billet input shaft. My builder said he hasn't seen many break in the automatics.
2. Does his 600-700 hp quote seem plausible?
3. Finally, is it too good to be true?
Does it make sense to spend 6 grand on suncoast, dtt, revmax, etc. or does it make sense to go to your friendly neighborhood builder?

Okay update on the build: 2/13/16
1. Going uphills in od let's say 1500rpm or so I feel like I get some torque converter shudder. Everything I search indicates that the torque converter is on the way out. This is unlikely because it is only 6 days old.
2.While going 40-45 I feel like I'm getting some hunting (downshift-upshift 3-4 3-4) Not a lot but from time to time. I already have the apps noise isolater installed.
3. When I put the vehicle into drive you can really feel it. (not grinding or anything but it's hard)
4. Being that I have a stock vb and a triple disc should I get a dtt valve body with the gm solenoids

Update 2/13/16: 1. throwing some 100 sticks in and then Saving for goerend or revmax performance valve body

Update 2/15/16: Took it back to the builder. Getting a trans-go shift kit and some other goodies installed. (should fix/fine tune the minor issues)

Update 2/26/16: Trans-go shift kit is installed and I also got an accumulator piston put in or something like that. Feels great. 100% Stock body will remain in the vehicle as long as the trans-go continues to do its job
Have a good day

Update 2/24/17: TRANS NOW HAS 25K MILES, JUST RAN INTO PROBLEMS WITH IT. NOT DOWNSHIFTING PROPERLY, FEELS LIKE IT'S STUCK IN 3RD GEAR. Slips when cold, sometimes won't shift at all unless I back out of the throttle. He is going to do a fluid change and filter and he told me to leave him a list of things that is wrong with it and he will look at everything. If it's my torque converter it is under manufacturer warranty for another 11k miles, if it's my clutches (which I think is likely) I might have to put some money down.

For those of you who do not know, he gave me a one year warranty which expired 2/5/17. Luckilly he is being very nice and working with me to get it back up and running to 100%.

I had him lower the pressure about 3 months ago because I felt as if it was shifting harsh. I wish I did not do that because firm shifts are just the nature of a triple disc/built tranny.

Truck is getting worked on tuesday 2/28

Will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
HAHAHHAHA yea no way.

$2400 is the parts cost for a single disc with rebuild and servos etc.

I dont even see a dual disc setup from Reco ( transtar) I would ask him what he is putting in.

billet input is needed for those power levels.

I don't see him building this thing for free.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Only way we can tell baby put your pedal to the metal

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HAHAHHAHA yea no way.

$2400 is the parts cost for a single disc with rebuild and servos etc.

I don't see him building this thing for free.
He's using a double disc and he isn't using the popular parts such as "revmax, suncoast, etc." This could explain the low cost. Nothing but good reviews about this guy in my area though. I don't know is the problem. The torque is concerning me really. I only intend on sitting 500horse

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I looked up the transtar stuff and they don't list a double disc.

RECON Torque Converters - Transtar Industries

http://www.transtar1.com/download.a...que converter/TorqueConverterCatalog_2012.pdf

Look from page 108
I rebuilt mine using some used hard parts ( servos etc) and got VERY good prices on all of it, and my single disc build cost be $2100 with fluid in parts alone ( no labor cost as I built it myself)

Now I really don't see how he could keep the doors open and lights on without charging labor......

That makes me wonder where he is cutting cost.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm maybe he is re-using the valve body?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nonetheless. How much power can a billet single hold?

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I reused mine.....

again I did a VERY cheap build and I spent $2100 on parts.

Single can hold 400hp maybe a bit more.

I don't want to rain on your parade but cover your butt. Any warranty? Anything in writing? Make sure you get ALL parts back that he pulled out of the trans.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reused mine.....

so that'd be 800lb torque that it can hold? Yeah idk. The guy said he is using a double disc so I'll take his word.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
......You take his word even though Transtar themselves don't show a double disc in their catalogs?

I would ask him to show you the order for the double disc and VERIFY it is what he says it is. I am telling you that the hard parts alone to do what he said is at least $2100 likely closer $2400 if you are using new parts.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Yeah I thought they came in single, triple, and 5 discs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never heard of a double either unless its for a manual. Lol, well . We will see.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I reused mine.....

I don't want to rain on your parade but cover your butt. Any warranty? Anything in writing? Make sure you get ALL parts back that he pulled out of the trans.
dont worry. You aren't raining on my parade. I need to know! Also, he gave me a one year warranty. Not paying him until I have it in writing upon pick up

Reactions: me78569

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
What he is saying is follow break in schedule so that is it does let go its covered under warranty. Otherwise you are out the cost of a new transmission.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What he is saying is follow break in schedule so that is it does let go its covered under warranty. Otherwise you are out the cost of a new transmission.
sounds good boys. should be picking it up today or tomorrow. Just waiting on the call

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I'd still verify what converter you got, make him show you the order form for the "dual disc" from transtar.

If he put a single in it I would want to know and call him on how much it will hold vs the warranty.
Too much power won't break a single disc it will just slip it and you won't know until the clutches are wore out a few years down the road.

if he put a triple in I would want a billet input.

·
Registered
14,843 Posts
Just make sure you get everything in writing and a complete list of what he installed. And its always a good idea to visually see and maybe even take home everything he took out. Thats just "good" business.

Because you can guarantee that when something breaks, the first thing generally out of any shop/mechanics mouth will be to assume its something you did. Thats just business..... :thumbsup:

Reactions: Off-road
1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.