Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my truck 2 years ago ,on the way home an attendant put in 10 gallons of ags instead of diesel,3 months later i start having a dead pedal thing,everyone on here says eventually truck will die,....well 40000miles and still going.My problem with this is ,to replace the pump i'm lookin at a couple grand and i am not totally convinced it is the pump,''yet''.One thing thats wierd is inthe winter i get the pedal thing constantly but when it warms up i can drive [and have ] hours towing my fifth wheel without a problem.My question is why so much difference in the winter with this and why ,if its a bad vp is it still kickin,is there a difference in ecm calibration from texas[trucks origin ] to east coast freeze your off canada.Was told by some that these forums are here to sell parts and not fix problems..................please need an answer

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i bought my truck 2 years ago ,on the way home an attendant put in 10 gallons of ags instead of diesel,3 months later i start having a dead pedal thing,everyone on here says eventually truck will die,....well 40000miles and still going.My problem with this is ,to replace the pump i'm lookin at a couple grand and i am not totally convinced it is the pump,''yet''.One thing thats wierd is inthe winter i get the pedal thing constantly but when it warms up i can drive [and have ] hours towing my fifth wheel without a problem.My question is why so much difference in the winter with this and why ,if its a bad vp is it still kickin,is there a difference in ecm calibration from texas[trucks origin ] to east coast freeze your off canada.Was told by some that these forums are here to sell parts and not fix problems..................please need an answer
do you still have your stock lift pump... if so get rid of it.lot of folks think that the injection pump goes bad they need to replace it.stock lift pumps are the weakest link.are you gettin' fuel in the fuel filter housing? in the winter time the fuel is thicker i guess so to speak,so the stock lift pump has trouble lifting fuel out of tank ,'til things get so called warmed up.summer time it will be easier because the fuel is warmer and thinner.work @ a refinery and the lab guys said that!:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's not your VP44, it's the APPS malfunctioning. Search on APPS, there are a number of articles/posts here detailing what you need to do. YOu may not have to replace it, IIRC there are some ways to repair one, at least temporarily.

Ops

·
Premium Member
18,860 Posts
look through the forums and there is a section on apps. you can proabaly recalibrate your sensor. i did this last night i had a wiring problem with my converter. sometimes the leading cause of the injector pump going out is the lift pump (i've replaced 2). make sure you truck isn't throwing a code before you start replacing stuff because the apps sensor can be over $500. had to replace that to the throttle got stuck wide open. might even try the local injector pump shop. good luck

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
It's not your VP44, it's the APPS malfunctioning. Search on APPS, there are a number of articles/posts here detailing what you need to do. YOu may not have to replace it, IIRC there are some ways to repair one, at least temporarily.

Ops
I agree! My truck would always get dead pedal when it was wet and damp more than it would when it was dry. I drove the truck for about two years before I learned how to reset the apps on this site. I was really hesitating because a new apps is about $400. But, since I reset it, I've had no problems!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts