Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellers,

I've got to go pick up some parts for my RX-7 project vehicle. A hood, front bumper, and the bumper beam. The hood being the biggest widest part, is only about 44.5 inches from front edge to windshield edge. It's wider than it is long. I've measured and it will easily lay down flat in my truck bed. I believe with the rear seats folded down and 2nd row seats removed that it will lay in the floor of my Honda minivan :w: too.

So in the Odyssey I could lay the beam down, put the hood down flat on top of that, and then lay the bumper on top the hood. I'm not concerned about scratching those parts as they will be repainted anyway. Basically I think the parts will fit in the minivan effectively.

So here's the catch. My truck will yield about 21 mpg using $4.199 per gallon diesel fuel. The trip is about 620 miles. That's about $124 in fuel.

The Ody should be able to get about 26 mpg using ~$3.499 per gallon gas. That would be about $84 or so in the van. Saving me like $40.

I would be plenty comfortable in either one. I will have navigation access in either one. Both A/C's work just fine. And I have no self confidence issues with driving a minivan ... it's a tool in my opinion, way better at transporting people than my truck is.

It's no big deal either way, but I'm curious as to what the general concesus here is regarding which vehicle would you choose to use.

Thanks. :thumbsup

- - - - - - -

·
Registered
689 Posts
save the money...

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Ya but you know some one is going to cut you off in the minivan. and you'll be wishing the whole rest of the trip you drove the truck just so you could have smoked them out. LOL

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i debate the same things from time to time...and i usually take my truck...it's healthy for it to get out there and roll on a trip like that...and besides...id'e rather rock my diesel than a mini van anyday...it's only $40 bones....i'de take it bc who knows what diesel will cost in the next few months and maybe you def. wont be able to take it ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya but you know some one is going to cut you off in the minivan. and you'll be wishing the whole rest of the trip you drove the truck just so you could have smoked them out. LOL
People cut me off all the time in my truck too. You need to be more mature about it. I react the same way regardless of what I drive, I stay calm, cool, and collected ... in order to steady my aim :ar15 at their tires. :rof

·
Registered
689 Posts
People cut me off all the time in my truck too. You need to be more mature about it. I react the same way regardless of what I drive, I stay calm, cool, and collected ... in order to steady my aim :ar15 at their tires. :rof
hahahaha o thats great

·
Registered
882 Posts
$$$ is $$$ I'd take the van. Spring break we took the wifes car and saved the $$$, and now shes got an 08 Grand Caravan and I drive it all the time to run around. Look at this way saving money allows for more money for the toy!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
im with him this happens everytime i dont drive my truck

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

I took the truck. I think the van would have got the job done, but the stock hood seems a little larger than what I had measured. So it would have been a tight fight in the van. But the long bed swallowed all the parts whole. I ran tie down straps in an X over the parts to hold them down. Never had a problem.

Now for the surprising news. I must have had a tailwind going AND coming. :D The total trip was ~620 miles. The overhead is currently reading 25.5 mpg. I don't think it's accurate, but from the times I've towed with the quadzilla on L1, it wasn't that far off. I'm still flabbergasted about it.

I made up my mind before I left to try to get 22 mpg ($118 for the trip). So I maxed the speed out at 65 mph, and basically obeyed the speed limits where ever I was. It was raining about 40% of the trip too. I topped off before I left (about 10.3 gallons to top off) because I figured it wouldn't make the whole trip without adding some fuel, so I fueled it locally. But it wasn't even down to 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge when I got home.

I'm going to fuel the truck up sometime after May 1st. The truck will just sit in the garage until then, so the numbers will be accurate. When I do refuel, I'll come back here and post the results.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been out of town, and just plain forgot to follow up. I fueled the truck up.

It had 631 miles on it and took 27.689 gallons. You do the math. Oooh ok, I'll do the math! :D

22.79 mpg. That's with a 7,130 # truck. Almost 23 mpg!

It cost me like $113.50 to go get those parts. I'm glad I took the truck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
take the van and use the $40 bucks to get you a couple cases of beer while you put your car together. i do the same thing with my wifes ugly dakota, sorry for all you that like the 06 body style I just dont like um. but then again im paying 4.50 a gal for diesel out here in CA where as its 3.89 for unleaded.

·
Registered
69 Posts
take the van and use the $40 bucks to get you a couple cases of beer while you put your car together. i do the same thing with my wifes ugly dakota, sorry for all you that like the 06 body style I just dont like um. but then again im paying 4.50 a gal for diesel out here in CA where as its 3.89 for unleaded.

He took the truck a few days ago and came back. He was happy he did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol3::rof

1 - 14 of 14 Posts