Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hits I have a friend he has a 2001 HO Cummins with a bigger turbo bigger injectors k and n cold air and an edge juice with attitude.he is not sure on the turbo size or the injector size but it smokes almost constantly no matter what level the edge is on every time he grand a gear is just smoke even when he's driven it lightly. He also says he's gettin around 13mpg with it also.What are your opinions, my thinking it's possibly the injectors are something stupid big causing this? Or the turbo it's to big and he's not getting enough air soon enough? He also told me that the truck runs at 10 or below that fuel pressure almost all the time, and don't worry I informed him that needs to be addressed, it has a fass lift pump on it, but being that it's been run at low fuel pressure could the vp cause the excessive smoke and bad mpg? I'm gonna go over tonigght and take a look at it but any body that has some ideas please pitch in so I can check it while I'm over there. Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Does he know what size the injectors are? Any idea of how much boost hes got? Sounds to me that he needs a bigger turbo depending upon the injector sizes because it sounds like the turbo isnt getting lit

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is not site on the turbo or injector size that was my thinking either that or the turbo is to big and the injectors can't spool it those are my two ideas I'm gonna go over tonigght and take it for a ride to see if the smoke clears up after the turbo lights.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I know I was just seeing if you guys had any ideas to check off the bat I plan on looking into it a little better

·
Registered
263 Posts
Should be a plate on the turbo that gives model # & dimensions if not there will be a part ID # on one of the housings to help diagnose that end of the problem might have to do some research to find out what you have on that side of things but at least it would be a starting point verses taking shots in the dark

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'll look for a part number tonigght I told him to possibly find a set of injectors to run and send his out to figure out what they are and tested

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well guys here is an update looks like it has a stock hx on it and the smoke problem it's figured out it was how he was driving it I jumped on drove it and he couldn't believe it didn't smoke but thanks for all the replies guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts