Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 6.7 with a superchips 3856 racing tuner and DPF delete. This thing smokes on every setting and at almost all RPM. Obviously I need to upgrade the air intake, but I was wondering if doing an EGR block would help reduce the smoke? And if so, should I delete the EGR cooler as well? Thanks, James

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes. You should remove the EGR........ very soon. I am assuming that "superchips" thing doesnt turn off the EGR...... so its dumping soot into the motor, with nothing to catch it and burn it up (DPF). Im not a diesel wizard, but it doesnt make good sense to me.

Now if you had a H&S tuner.... that can turn off the EGR. You would be good. (in 10-11 trucks) and good in other trucks if you remove the egr gear.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, shootindave. Suposedly the superchips 3856 turns off the EGR and stops regen, but with that being said I dont know wether or not "turning it off" is as good as deleting it or blocking it. I'd also like to say I expect some black smoke, just dont want to be fogging people out all the time (from 1300 rpm on up in every gear). Maybe aa new air intake will make all the difference? just trying to learn. Love the power, just not diggin the black

·
Registered
922 Posts
If the egr system is disabled then technically there should be minimal soot getting past the valve. I cannot imagine enough getting past to explain what you described. I am not up on the superchips tuner, but if it does in fact disable the egr then I assume it is a heavy fueling tuner. That explains all the smoke more so than a disabled egr still intact. A cai is not going to tone the smoke down. I suggest you double check all your settings on the tuner in regards to egr/dpf. Also I would recommend going ahead and deleting the entire egr system since you are running a tuner that allows it.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Have you gotten the latest update from super chips. I have one and it will only throw lots of smoke with the redline tune. The 135/level 4 smokes a little but I have to work at it. Haven't tried any of the other tunes.

If you have one of the trucks with the skinny intercooler its tough to get enough air through them to keep anything from smoking.

Until you can afford a cai you can pull the baffle out of the tube that goes from the air box to the turbo big plastic thing in there restricts flow. I have also heard drilling a 4 or 5 inch hole in the bottom of the stock air box does wonders. Forget where it was but I saw a thread where a guy made a few cuts on the stock air box and got an s&b round filter in it somehow. That would be a 50 dollar cai cost of filter thats works as good as one you buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure I have the latest tune since Ive only had the tuner for a month. I'll check the thickness of the intercooler and remove the baffle in cai tube. Thanks for all the suggestions, James

·
Registered
894 Posts
sounds like your tuner is dumping to much fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your probably right Tye 6.7, but hopefully I can add more air and get less black. I'll make some block off plates for the EGR and cooler and upgrade the air intake and see what happens.

pcdebol - is your EGR system deleted?

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Whats an egr system?:hehe::hehe::hehe: I hit a bump and a bunch of stuff fell off put it back together best I could but I had a lot of left over parts. Maybe that egr thing your talking about was one of them. :party018::party018: Grid heater fell off too.

Plug the tuner in the computer and check. I haven't had mine long either but it had a big update when I plugged it in the other day. Those tuners are pretty wild. They make some crazy big HP numbers if you can give them enough air to run the rs up to 3600. I pulled almost a hundred more ponies on it that I did with my smarty running the original tune. They toned it down a notch with the update but its still getting about 40 more ponies than the smarty. The original tune was the same at equal rpms not anymore. Torque is down a bit also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know, I'll plug it in and check it out. Appreciate all the great info guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@shootindave,

I have heard (from one person) that the Black Maxx has bad shift points for the 68RFE and is hard on the trans. I have heard from several others that they swear by the H&S programmer. What is your experience with it? I am thinking of getting one and the trans tune as well.

Also, what's different in the 2010/2011 trucks? Wouldn't they have to remove their EGR/DPF systems?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
@shootindave,

I have heard (from one person) that the Black Maxx has bad shift points for the 68RFE and is hard on the trans. I have heard from several others that they swear by the H&S programmer. What is your experience with it? I am thinking of getting one and the trans tune as well.

Also, what's different in the 2010/2011 trucks? Wouldn't they have to remove their EGR/DPF systems?

Thanks for the help.
I do not have an H&S. Everyone here seems to..... not much talk of the Superchips (hear more of them and gas motors). Was just making sure Superchips is able to fully disable the EGR on your truck. IE, turns it off AAAANNNNNDDDD you dont need to remove the gear so that the valve doesnt sit half closed like some report in the 07.5-09 trucks. In the 10-11 trucks the removal of the gear is reported to not be needed.

Shiftpoints: H&S sells an additional program called "Overdrive"
http://www.hsperformance.com/products/overdrive/

The very need for the additional $300 purchase implies to me that there is an issue with shifting without it. But I have never used a H&S tuner...... only read what other folks have done to their trucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll post another thread asking for info on that programmer. I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
@shootindave,

Thanks for the help.
I just love em. Replaced two transmissions while running h&s. Started using the smarty and superchips and have had 0 issues since.

In 2010 dodge changed the ecm they use on the 6.7 to a less expensive one.

All the maxx tuners can run with or without deletes. If you have a 2010 or 2011 and it ain't broke I'd wait for the warranty to run out before I fixed it. But thats just me.

I fixed my 07.5 before the warranty ran out but I was really sick of being in the dealership on a weekly basis.:doh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info guys. Got the black under control with my two new additions, EGR delete plates and CAI. Huge difference, no smoke untill level 4 and of course redline tune.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts