Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id advise you to do it as soon as possible!! Did mine this sat. It was a breeze coming apart and except for the crank seal it was a breeze going back together. My fears were confirmed... the dowel pin was about 1/4" out! That puppy was just about to ruin my happy weekend. So everyone... Get It Done!

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
The KDP is definitely something to take very seriously.
I've secured dozens of pins for folks, some of whom wouldn't even drive their truck after finding out about the KDP.

B

·
0 Posts
alright heres the stupid question how and where do i check got 188000 on mine and leaving in a week for vacation towing my 5ver pics would be great thanks a million

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Mine came out on a rebuilt motor, only had 20k on it.

Still leaking like a sieve, lol. I'll get around to it one day.

Tab it before it ruins your day...

Merrick

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The killer dowel pin.

What does this usually cost to get done?

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Registered
98 Posts
The killer dowel pin.

What does this usually cost to get done?

About $ 50.00 or so for the kit from tst that is if you have all the tools and mechanical aptitude to do it yourself :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:woot::woot::woot:

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
definitely a serious matter! some people get lucky and catch it or never have the problem and some dont. but who wants to gamble!!? i know i cant afford a new engine. i got my kit from BD and it was a pretty comprehensive kit just like the TST one. but the BD one cost a little more :( for pretty much the same thing.

beerplay, unless you know that your truck has had this done i wouldnt risk it and would just pull a weekend job with some beer and a buddy and get this out of the way. took me and a friend 5 hours including hangover time from friday night, a 1 hour lunch breaks and multiple "gotta hit the crapper" breaks. weve never done this before (both went and going to uti for diesel technology) but i havent had any actual diesel classes yet so im pretty much your basic backyard rookie. the instructions are very straight forward and the only thing id recommend doing to ease up the install would be removing the washer fluid resevoir completely as well as the coolant resevoir.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i did mine on the 95 2 days ago. it was half way out . i could wiggle it with my finger . thank god i did it. mine went easy i have the hole front clip off the truck. doing a little resto work. i am a mechanic by trade but any body who enjoys working on there ride should be able to do this repair. the only major tools is the big wrench for the fan and a puller for the cs balencer, that cam off easy on mine.

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
What is a KDP?

From Dowel Pin Repair Kit for 94-98 - KDP 03

Dowel Pin Awareness

If you have heard of “dowel pin issues” on the 12 valve Cummins 5.9 with the P7100 Bosch injection pump then you may already have taken care of your truck. This dowel pin issue applies to all '89-'98 12 valve Rams with Cummins engines and many other non-Dodge Cummins 12 valve engines. If you have not heard of the issue, or you heard yet have done nothing and you are the owner of one of these vehicles, listen up. A dowel pin failure could destroy your engine completely or do no damage at all.

The aluminum front gear housing on the 5.9 Cummins is precisely located on the front of the cast iron engine block using dowel pins. The dowel pin is about 5/16 inch diameter by 3/4inch length made of steel. During engine assembly the dowel pins are driven into holes drilled in the block such that about half their length protrudes. Matching holes in the gear housing permit a precise fit of the housing the block. Several cap screws are used to hold the housing to the block. The problem with the dowel pin occurs because the hole in the aluminum gear housing was drilled through. During engine operation vibration could cause the dowel pin to work its way out of the hole and fall into the gear case. When the dowel pin falls, it can drop right to the oil pan or land in the gear housing, causing no damage at all.

On the other hand, the pin can be caught in the camshaft gear and forced into the aluminum gear housing, breaking out a big chunk of the housing which would cause a huge oil leak and an expensive, time consuming failure.

Worst-case failure is when the dowel pin goes between the cam and crank gears, or cam and injection pump gears, breaking the gear off the camshaft. The camshaft stops rotating instantly causing valves to stop operating, leaving some valves open and some closed. The crankshaft continues to rotate for a few seconds, slamming pistons into valves, and possibly ruining block, crank, rods, cylinder head, and valve train. Almost no reusable parts in this case, a complete engine swap could be required.

If you are the owner of one of these 12 valve 5.9 engines and you haven?t taken preventive action, we suggest you take action before the vehicle strands you in a bad location and sticks you with an expensive repair bill. TST offers a “Dowel Pin Kit” that includes the parts you need to access the dowel pin, positively lock it in place so that it does not come out. Installing this kit requires removal of the engine fan shroud, fan, damper, and front gear cover to gain access to the dowel pin. Once the dowel pin is secured, a new crankshaft seal included in the kit is installed in the gear cover and all parts are reinstalled. This kit sells for $52 and takes about 4 hours to install. See DowelPina.pdf for complete installation instructions

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well im thinking that if i do get my truck this weekend thats the first thing im going to do to it, other than removing the 8ft boss plow and brackets. Anyone need a new plow? haha

B

·
0 Posts
ok thanks all to the answers to those of us that didnt know next ? can you check it without removing half of the front of the truck

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
No need to check it, just tab it. If it hasn't moved yet, it could move in teh future.

Also, the KDP affects models up to '02. Some '02's have a revised cover, but some do not. My '98.5 24V is leaking oil right now from a cracked gear housing from the KDP falling out.

Tab it.

Merrick

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No need to check it, just tab it. If it hasn't moved yet, it could move in teh future.

Also, the KDP affects models up to '02. Some '02's have a revised cover, but some do not. My '98.5 24V is leaking oil right now from a cracked gear housing from the KDP falling out.

Tab it.

Merrick
good call smooth operator!

get it done guys!

dont think there is a way to check without disassembly. but might as well just do it to make sure

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanx to all for the warning about the KDP

I am fairly new to the forum and recently read about the KDP. I had no idea about this problem but I do understand the ramifications of this little inexpensive part working its way out. I have parked my truck, which I only drive a couple of times a month, until I fix the problem. What a life saver! I already had to rebuild the rearend when i first bout it and if I had to replace the motor i would have just pushed the truck into the Colorado River.

:beer

·
Registered
861 Posts
i did my buddies on his 97 the other day and it took me 4 hours. that was the second time doing it. i did mine as well myself. the only annoying part is the fan. TST kits are 50 bucks and well worth it. but you are prob going to want to do it yourself because it will cost a lot of money for a shop to do it. and there is no other way of checking it just get it done. mine was out about half way and my buddies didnt move yet so it all depends. you never know!!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The oil stains under my 24V are proof the KDP can affect VP trucks also.

The only truck the KDP will not affect is the Common Rail. The Common Rail has the updated cover to keep the pin in place.

Merrick

1 - 20 of 26 Posts