Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed an order for a 52 Gal Titan Tank for my Mega. I can't wait to get it installed, our next trip to the west coast will be much more relaxed!
Now I just need to figure out what to do with the stocker...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hmm...let me talk to my buddy. He might be interested.

Not to mention, I am interested in how the titan install goes.

Tony

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are looking forward to the extra range, it seems that we are always struggling between Needles and Barstow and since we'll be coming through on 40 at the end of the month that extra 18 or so gallons will be nice.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We are looking forward to the extra range, it seems that we are always struggling between Needles and Barstow and since we'll be coming through on 40 at the end of the month that extra 18 or so gallons will be nice.
FWIW, I haven't had a problem with range. Last summer I was grossing around 18k lb, and went from Kingman, going over Tehachapi thru Bakersfield and into Taft. I filled about 32-34 gallons.

I do have the vent mod installed, giving me 36-38 gallons of usable fuel.

Tony

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was about to do the vent mod but decided that I wanted to replace the tank anyway so I just bit the bullet and ordered the tank. I guess even a few more gallons makes some difference since most of the time there are options to stop.
One time a few years ago I was planning on a certain stop but when I got there the station was closed, I ran out of fuel about a mile from the next avail diesel. From that point I have always carried at least 5 gal in a can just in case...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dumb question but what is the vent mod?
Very simply, you create a vent path between the upper expansion cavities at the upper most areas of the tank and the vent tube on the filler neck. This allows you to fill those areas with fuel when you fill the tank. You get about 4 more gallons of capacity, but lose the fuel expansion area... I have never heard of a problem but most recommend to only fill the tank completely while traveling.

Reactions: qda

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:party018:

Got the tank today, now I just need to find the time to put it in... Friday or this weekend, likely!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no experience with Aerotank, but I believe they are much heavier and if they are the ones I have read about, they can rust...
The Titan Tank was $1120 and I got free shipping.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ummm...is it just me, or is there something wrong when the tank is longer than the truck bed? :shock::hehe:

Sometimes I can't help my sense of humor...

Tony

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's about the same price for the aero... Titan doesn't make a tank for a quad cab short bed... Just long beds and mega cabs

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Product Bumper Floor Automotive exterior Baggage

Here she is!
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part

Truck is up just enough to fit the Titan Tank underneath.
Auto part Vehicle Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Stocker isn't below the frame rails that much, you'll see later that the TT is quite a bit lower...
Architecture Auto part Arch Building

The first hard part, getting the tank low enough to get the connections disconnected without stretching them. Working from both sides and getting my head up around the driveline so I could see made it easier.
Auto part Muffler Exhaust system Bumper Automotive exterior

Tank is coming down on the motorcycle tie down straps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Would it make it easier to remove the rear DRIVELINE for this?

Sent From Commando

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It might make a difference, but not enough to go through that extra effort. It really only takes a couple of hours, so long as nothing goes wrong...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Titan vs. OE - I didn't realize it yet but the white elbow for the vent hose is 90% snapped off, I didn't know this until I am getting the vent lines arranged. I had to hunt down a replacement - Thank you NAPA!

Much better than the original flimsy nylon piece. A little Teflon tape and it's good to go, even if I shouldn't have had to do this...

Need to make sure this area is cleaned up really well or crap falls down into the sending unit housing, during the swap.

The o-ring has a groove that it needs to stay in. If you snug the flange up evenly and then torque it to 20 ft/lb incrementally and in a star pattern you'll have no trouble with the o-ring moving.

Sending unit installed.

All the vent lines set up. I didn't know this yet, but the long line from the roll-over vent valve isn't long enough if you follow the instructions... They say to make it 43", but that isn't long enough, it needs to be at least 4 or five inches longer. And the small vent hose is 6 or eight inches too short to attach with a zip tie to the fuel filler tube... All of this makes it a pain when the job should be almost done!
There was no good way to take pics, but the longer vent hose has plenty of room to run along the frame, you just have to fish it through. I left the connections very loose so that I could get it apart during this process.

Not the greatest pics, but you can tell that the new tank is quite bit lower than the OE which puts it about 5 inches or so lower than the frame (I didn't measure...).
One thing to note, the straps are very hard to install! They were not long enough or accurately shaped to go over the mounting bolts. Even with both of the supplied shims and allot of adjustments, the tank seems bulged with the straps tightened all the way. Maybe that is the intent but I am going to call Titan Tanks to see if this is appropriate and to let them know of the other discrepancies. Who knows, maybe they will even adjust the instructions for the next guy that spends $$$ on an over sized fuel tank for a MegaCab.
I am also left with another question. The two main straps have rubber bushings between them and the tank, but the "S" strap that you have to install to support the front of the tank (if you don't have the skid shield on your tranny) has no rubber between it and the front of the tank. I think it should, but it doesn't. I'm going to see if I can get a piece from Titan, to alleviate my concern...

52 gallons will greatly increase my range, I wish it was 60 gallons but I am very happy with the added capacity!

Thats it, if anyone has any questions, let me know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.