Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a ballpark cost on what it should be to get a Titan tank installed on a Mega cab?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Usually free. Do people pay others to do them? Seriously, do it yourself and prevent the headaches of a guaranteed hack job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn’t even think of that.. I am not super good with cars, how hard was it to do yours?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have an auxiliary tank on my current truck. I went auxiliary tank route to add three additional filters and a fuel pump to polish fuel. I have helped, did the work, on two current Rams with Titan tanks. Had a titan tank in a previous truck a Dodge 2500. They are easy to put in relatively speaking. There are a ton of youtube videos to get a good idea about what to do. The trick is getting the truck up enough to be able to wiggle the tank out from underneath. Also, using ratchet straps to hold and lower one end at a time helps. As does making sure the stock tank is as empty as possible.
Watch the online videos, ask questions here and call Titan. Then decide if your skill level us up to par to get it done. No one will care about a better install when doing the work than you would on your own truck. You probably have 1000+ facebook friends. Have one or two help and lend support.
For me having extra fuel is critical. Its the difference between stopping at a sketchy station or driving for many more miles. In my current case i have triple the range now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I paid almost $450 (including tax) to have my Titan replacement tank installed. Not cheap but I’m not set up to do that kinda work and mechanics gotta eat too. (Same outfit installed a Titan replacement tank in my ‘12 Ram and I never had any issues with it.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an auxiliary tank on my current truck. I went auxiliary tank route to add three additional filters and a fuel pump to polish fuel. I have helped, did the work, on two current Rams with Titan tanks. Had a titan tank in a previous truck a Dodge 2500. They are easy to put in relatively speaking. There are a ton of youtube videos to get a good idea about what to do. The trick is getting the truck up enough to be able to wiggle the tank out from underneath. Also, using ratchet straps to hold and lower one end at a time helps. As does making sure the stock tank is as empty as possible.
Watch the online videos, ask questions here and call Titan. Then decide if your skill level us up to par to get it done. No one will care about a better install when doing the work than you would on your own truck. You probably have 1000+ facebook friends. Have one or two help and lend support.
For me having extra fuel is critical. Its the difference between stopping at a sketchy station or driving for many more miles. In my current case i have triple the range now.
Thank you for the tips. I am with you on your critical fuel comment!

Not on Facebook and don’t spend the whole lot of time on YouTube either. However, I will jump on there for this to check out some installs and even call Titan. Doesn’t seem like it is rocket science after crawling under there and peeking around last night. I’ll probably have to pick up a few tools I may not have or at least a couple extensions.

Glad I asked, thank you for the inspiration!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid almost $450 (including tax) to have my Titan replacement tank installed. Not cheap but I’m not set up to do that kinda work and mechanics gotta eat too. (Same outfit installed a Titan replacement tank in my ‘12 Ram and I never had any issues with it.)
Thanks for the response. Good point and helping small businesses such as mechanics, $450 isn’t too bad but I think I might give it a shot regardless. The only tools I believe I’m lacking is a ratchet extension to get the straps on/off after taking a look..

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I also agree with helping mechanics if they are good and care. My experience has me swearing off using most trades anymore. Need to have a relationship with a shop you trust. Otherwise most people feel entitled to your hard earned money for minimal effort.
These trucks and most things like the homes i build are just a series of easy to deal with subsystems. Nothing most can’t tackle with some basic understanding.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
If you’ve got a transmission jack, you’re golden. If not, this is a great excuse to get one. A real one, not the $80 V-channel harbor freight one - but the bigger HF one would work too. You absolutely can do it without, but it makes things so much easier when you can use the jack to lift, pitch, and yaw the tank while you line up the straps.

You can reuse your stock sending unit / lift pump but if you want this would be THE time to upgrade it. Everything is plug and play; the Titan will come with new straps. You’ll probably need push-lock release tools if you don’t feel like fiddling with a little screwdriver up under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
I also agree with helping mechanics if they are good and care. My experience has me swearing off using most trades anymore. Need to have a relationship with a shop you trust. Otherwise most people feel entitled to your hard earned money for minimal effort...
+1. I agree and that’s why I quit patronizing quick lube facilities. The outfit that installed my fuel tank is listed on the Titan website as a Titan dealer, the only one within a hundred miles. I was happy with the installation they did on my ‘12 Ram 3500 and so far I’m happy with this one.

BTW, if I was younger and my Dad was still alive I would have taken it to his shop and together we could easily have done the job but he’s gone to the other side now...

·
Registered
294 Posts
late to the party on this but got my titan tank put in my 2016 mega for 300.00, pretty much the going rate in portland,or for shops that have done it before, took less than 3 hrs

Reactions: 09W3500
1 - 11 of 11 Posts