Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do the titan 52gal fuel tank conversion on their 2019+ yet?

How many miles are you getting per tank now?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had one installed on my 2018 recently but haven’t gone on any trips or towed with it yet. I refueled last week after about 650 miles of mixed driving, mostly around town but the needle was just above Empty and it only took 40 gallons of fuel.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one installed on my 2018 recently but haven’t gone on any trips or towed with it yet. I refueled last week after about 650 miles of mixed driving, mostly around town but the needle was just above Empty and it only took 40 gallons of fuel.
Ahh so the gauge will be off quite a bit after install?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, i was considering upgrading my front main to the 50 gallon Transferflow, but right on their website, it says it will no longer work with the DTE, distanced to empty, range numbers

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have the 40gal in bed and honestly I don't care about the DTE. I know what my MPG is and I can calculate based off minimums how far I can get on 70 gallons of diesel. 70*11 = 770 miles.

This is no different than any other tank. 50gal * minimum MPG (let's say you're getting 8mpg pulling a trailer) = 400 miles. Stop relying on tech (aka lie-o-meter) to do the job for you. It's a nice convenience but you should know how to calculate it yourself.

·
Registered
19,524 Posts
Ehh, well it that case it won’t be of much use to me.
How can having more fuel on board not be of use?!?
As to how many miles someone is getting per tank (with a larger tank), that is painfully easy to figure out, if the two tank sizes and the mpg are known.

Reactions: 09W3500

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
How can having more fuel on board not be of use?!?
As to how many miles someone is getting per tank (with a larger tank), that is painfully easy to figure out, if the two tank sizes and the mpg are known.
What would people do if the gauge quit on day? Pull over? Or fill up every 30 miles? Lol

I’ve looked at dte sometimes but havent used it to decide where I was getting fuel. I have that figured out when I start the truck. It’s a quick, I’ll get fuel here.

·
Registered
19,524 Posts
Wait...
Are you insinuating that you're thinking while driving???
Bet you're one of those bastards that read the manual, too, instead of starting a thread asking others.
Jeez.

Reactions: Ram4Sam

·
Registered
318 Posts
I’ve only had this truck eleven months and had the Titan 52 gallon replacement tank installed a couple months ago. Due to the ‘rona we haven’t really gone anywhere and we haven’t towed our travel trailer so my experience is limited.

I record every gallon of fuel in addition to all the service I’ve had done in a little book. Always have, always will. As a result, I’ve never paid a lot of attention to DTE and the MPG according to the EVIC. I watch my odometer and know when to refuel based on the miles I’ve driven. So far, based on my SWAG I’d guess I have about an 800 mile range when not towing.

It doesn’t bother me in the least if I have ten gallons left when the gauge reads Empty. Better that then the other way around.

It would be nice if the fuel gauge and DTE were accurate but I don’t know if it would change much for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am looking to put the Titan in my truck. The way I look at the fuel gauge, I know that if I have 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 tank, I should have around "X" miles of fuel, and so forth. With the new tank, it will just be recalibrating the mind to a new mileage figure. Not hard, or rocket science.

·
Registered
579 Posts
97577FD9-DB3D-4A2D-B1AE-EE8FF2299407 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

My RDS tank is just a 20 gallon one that I transferred over from my Ecodiesel to the new Cummins. Have had bed tanks like this, and open door caps to access, for multiple diesel trucks now. It would be a disturbing loss to not have them.

Big issue for me is they are way less expensive than a total tank replacement. Now I am using the same one I used for over five years in the last truck in this new one. Quite a savings to be able to do that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know this is in the 19+ section but, I've got a 17 Mega G56 that I did the 51g swap on a few years back. I track every fuel fill-up in this truck. I've embedded the last page of my fuel spreadsheet. You can see how many miles I've been logging. A bunch of tanks have my fifth wheel towing and my fifth wheel is 10k lbs and I usually run 75mph with it. Empty I can run 750+ miles and towing I usually figure 480-500 miles. Yes the DTE is wrong and the gauge won't move off full until about 150 miles, but after that its pretty linear and I know when the 'low fuel' light comes on I have a little more than 8 gallons left and even towing, 7 gal x 10mpg gives me 70 miles to find fuel.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

·
US ARMY Retired
915 Posts
I have a 60gal RDS gravity flow. This is the first auxiliary tank that I have had...man I cant believe I waited so long to put one in...its definitely the way to go. When empty on the highway I can go 1200 to 1400 miles off my main and auxiliary tank. When towing its 500-750 depending what I'm towing. My next truck will be a DRW with an 8' bed. I replaced that large fuel cap out with a low profile one so I can close my tonneau cover. I have an Anderson hitch...no issues with this set up plenty of clearance.

IMG_3965.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's the same tank I have, plenty of room for the 5'ver hitch and fuel mileage very similar to yours in my 2007 2500. I open aux tank and run it out, then when the gauge starts moving I know aux tank is empty and I have a full tank of gas left in the factory tank. Absolutely love the extended range especially when towing, and like many, can't imagine not having one after having it.

Reactions: Cummins0867

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have a 60gal RDS gravity flow. This is the first auxiliary tank that I have had...man I cant believe I waited so long to put one in...its definitely the way to go. When empty on the highway I can go 1200 to 1400 miles off my main and auxiliary tank. When towing its 500-750 depending what I'm towing. My next truck will be a DRW with an 8' bed. I replaced that large fuel cap out with a low profile one so I can close my tonneau cover. I have an Anderson hitch...no issues with this set up plenty of clearance.

View attachment 909176
Can you tell me what model number RDS tank that is?

·
US ARMY Retired
915 Posts
Can you tell me what model number RDS tank that is?
Its an RDS 71212. I bought mine from Amazon...I think its was a little less than $600 shipped that was about 2 years ago...at the time it was the least expensive. Shop around and you may find it cheaper.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts