Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of new tires and am not sure if I want AT or MT. For one thing I didn't like getting pulled out by my buddies little jeep because my tires are almost bald and that when in afraid of the AT. I feel like the wouldn't be very good off road or in the snow. The two tires that I was looking at were the Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtreme or the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38. I haven't really heard much about either one but they both caught my eye. If any body has any experience and/or pictures with them in you rig they would be much appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: stevewells

·
Registered
24 Posts
Toyo at2's are a very well know tire. I've had the 35x12.50r17 extremes on my truck now for just about a year with 12k. Great tries, have gotten me out from deep mud to wheeling on the beach, they also perform great in the snow. Road manners are awesome, pretty quite for a at tire. They wear great as well, factory tred depth is 17/32 and mine are at 15/32. I don't think you'd be disappointed with these.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyo at2's are a very well know tire. I've had the 35x12.50r17 extremes on my truck now for just about a year with 12k. Great tries, have gotten me out from deep mud to wheeling on the beach, they also perform great in the snow. Road manners are awesome, pretty quite for a at tire. They wear great as well, factory tred depth is 17/32 and mine are at 15/32. I don't think you'd be disappointed with these.

Do you have any pictures of your rig with these tires on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: SES Cummins

·
Registered
853 Posts
If your undecided about weather to go with a AT or a MT you may want to look at Big-O Tire. they make a XT Big Foot, that is a cross between an AT and a full on MT.
I have had them and liked them. They also are covered for sidewall puncture, which is rare for an off road tire. You may also want to check out Tread Wright Tires. They are a retread tire. They make a tire called Guard Dog. It's a MT tire with close center lugs giving it longer life. The Factory tread depth is 19/32 That's what I currently use.
https://www.treadwright.com/

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Another vote for the AT2's. Best tires iv'e ever owned hands down. When I purchase my 20's in a few months I plan to wrap those in the Toyo MT's for a lil more aggressive look. IMO Toyo makes the best MT on the market. By far the quietest.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
DO NOT BUY TREADWRIGHTS....... They are soft compounds and wear very quickly...... My older brother had them on his 06 cummins and hated them, they seperated between the cap and carcass

I ran them on my truck and they wore super fast.

A buddy ran them on his truck and hated them as well.

For what it's worth, toyo at2's will be my next set of tires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
853 Posts
DO NOT BUY TREADWRIGHTS....... They are soft compounds and wear very quickly...... My older brother had them on his 06 cummins and hated them, they seperated between the cap and carcass

For me they are a great tire with long life. Thredwright doe's offer a softer compound called "kedge grip" for the rock crawler guys. perhaps that's what you had ? :confused013:
All I know is that I love there performance, price, life.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts

They are half the price of toyos and hold up just fine. If you drive in the snow a lot and use your truck off road they are perfect. They are based off the Military Goodyear MTRS they arent going to last long on the road.

If your going to drive on the road a lot you shouldn't be running M/Ts period. Hense why i have a spare set of cooper H/Ts i use in the summer. And i only switch out the tires for mud and snow...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mastercraft courser C/T have been great tires for me. Not quite as aggressive as a mt but more than an at. Last 2 sets I've had lasted 50-60k miles each. Just my .02

Reactions: sgolladay1

·
Registered
853 Posts
They are half the price of toyos and hold up just fine. If you drive in the snow a lot and use your truck off road they are perfect. They are based off the Military Goodyear MTRS they arent going to last long on the road.

If your going to drive on the road a lot you shouldn't be running M/Ts period. Hense why i have a spare set of cooper H/Ts i use in the summer. And i only switch out the tires for mud and snow...
It seems like people either love Treadwright or hate them. I agree no M/T is going to last as long as a H/T. But some last longer than others. And if most of your driving is off pavement, it will be even less. Seldom do dealers have a mileage warranty on a M/T. As for me. Because of where I live, and what I use my truck for, my truck sees more dirt, mud, and snow than asphalt. Like yourself, I have a set of H/T for the summer. or long highway trips.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Toyo shave a 40k mile tread life warranty on the at2's for 60 months..... Thus I'd rather buy a known tire then an unknown.... And I think most here don't carry a spare set to change everytime they step off the pavement.....
I change my tires twice a year. Before hunting season and in late spring.
I have to honest. I cannot rate Toyo A/T2 because I never had any. After reading reviews people love how long they last. I will admit I do not get 40K/60 months on my Guard Dogs. But the Toyo A/Ts are not the same tire as the Guard Dog M/T. The original post wasn't sure if he wanted an A/T or a M/T. I suggested the Guard Dog because it is not in my opinion a full on M/T but close.
Or the Big-O Big Foot they call a X/T. A cross between an A/T and a M/T. I do a lot of cutting firewood and have gotten 2 sidewall punctures on my Big-O Big Foots. They were replaced with new both times without question.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Toyo shave a 40k mile tread life warranty on the at2's for 60 months..... Thus I'd rather buy a known tire then an unknown.... And I think most here don't carry a spare set to change everytime they step off the pavement.....
I don't change them everytime...
I run the H/Ts ostly and only run the M/Ts in winter, and spring when my logging trailer are really muddy.

If plan on going wheeling ill throw them on, which i seldom do. Unless its muddy the H/Ts do fine

I ran a set of Toyo AT tires and i got like 40k out of them. Sucked in the snow. AT tires aren't very good at anything, just okay all around.

Thats why your better off having summer tires and winter tires like i do

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ordered some 285 75 kelly safari tsr for my truck had the older version on a 4 runner they are the only a/t tires I will buy. I read in an off road magazine a comparison of a/t m/t and street tires and none of the a/t they tested (all of the common brands) worked any better than the street tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm looking at the toyo mt tire just not sure how they would do on the road or if i should just get the rt

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm looking at the toyo mt tire just not sure how they would do on the road or if i should just get the rt
Our trucks are pretty light in the rear. Even with 1,000 lbs in the bed, I don't like driving on highway when it's ice or snow covered with my M/T tires.
I get more traction with H/T in those conditions. Dry or wet highway no problem with my M/T tires. Little noise. If I have to pull a trailer or make a long trip on a icy highway, I feel more comfortable with my H/T tires.

For what I do, I have never been happy with any A/T.
It's either a H/T or a M/T for me.

·
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM
2,368 Posts
Cooper Stt MAXX's or Cooper at3's Best combo of a MT/AT and AT out there IMO. lots of folks are happy with the MAXX's

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.