Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a disappointment to see Firestone Transforce on the truck. Now I have to go spend over a $1k on some BFG KO IIs. Stock size on truck is
285/60/20 and the crazy thing is if you go to a 285/65/20 you can save over $60 per tire.
The big “D” chain store will only give $100 per tire credit for the factory tires so it’s still about $1200 to put some decent tires on there.

We go the the mountains weekly in winter so we need a winter rated tire and then to the beach in the summer in DEEP SUGAR SAND and the BFG’s have never let me down.

With the Firestone’s I spin just trying to get across the grass on the back of the property.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It was a disappointment to see Firestone Transforce on the truck. Now I have to go spend over a $1k on some BFG KO IIs. Stock size on truck is
285/60/20 and the crazy thing is if you go to a 285/65/20 you can save over $60 per tire.
The big “D” chain store will only give $100 per tire credit for the factory tires so it’s still about $1200 to put some decent tires on there.

We go the the mountains weekly in winter so we need a winter rated tire and then to the beach in the summer in DEEP SUGAR SAND and the BFG’s have never let me down.

With the Firestone’s I spin just trying to get across the grass on the back of the property.
They give credit for factory tires? Hmmm.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Yeah, You can see a couple of the Rams in my sig and had two 2015 blacked out 2500’s one was HEMI the other was CTD and every truck that was the first thing I did was stop at “D” tires and traded for BFG’s or Duratracs AND usually got more than $100 tire but they said there isn’t a big demand for 285/60/20.

My name is the same on the other forum and you can go to my gallery and see most of my trucks.

No not rich, just had a small business and maybe had two at one time but would fix them up drive them a year or so and sell them.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/5th-gen-tire-wheel/

·
Registered
219 Posts
What does that link have to do with tires, nothing ......it’s all about bolt patterns?:backtotopic:
My only guess is that this thread is only about some of the 2019's. I looked at it because it was about 2019 tires but has nothing to do with the 2019 tires on the 3500 DRW. Different size, different manufacture, different bolt pattern for the wheel.

The thread title should be 20" tires on 2019.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My only guess is that this thread is only about some of the 2019's. I looked at it because it was about 2019 tires but has nothing to do with the 2019 tires on the 3500 DRW. Different size, different manufacture, different bolt pattern for the wheel.

The thread title should be 20" tires on 2019.
No, if you read my post it’s about disappointment with Firestone tires being put on the new trucks. I only mention sizes to let folks know that if they replace the tires the 285/65s are cheaper than the factory size of 285/60 :surprise:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a link to the 5th gen tires and wheels topic section...where posts about tires and wheels for 5th gens belong...
I would be happy to have the mods move this “thread” to the “wheel and tire SECTION”.

But the link is to a”thread “ dedicated to 3500 bolt patterns and my “thread” is about tires. So I made a mistake by posting in the general section so ... my bad.

Jimmy, make sure you clink a link so you have the required knowledge on said subject before jumping in to correct me.

N of 60,
I apologize if my response offended you, I am not a keyboard commando. I am an old guy that my wife calls grumpy at time and maybe my post came across that way so again no offense meant.

Guys,

These forums are incredible and here to help each other and they have helped me on countless occasions and I have taken the time to share on this or the other forum when I could given helpful input.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No, if you read my post it’s about disappointment with Firestone tires being put on the new trucks. I only mention sizes to let folks know that if they replace the tires the 285/65s are cheaper than the factory size of 285/60 :surprise:
I read your post but the title of the thread isn't about your disappointment in the Firestone tires. The title is simply Tires on 2019. So, the topic to the reader is about 2019 tires. I could add to the thread and discuss disappointment with the Nexen tires being on the 2019.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Jimmy, make sure you clink a link so you have the required knowledge on said subject before jumping in to correct me.
Yup, and when I click on that link, this is a shot of the page it takes me to-

That is the 2019+ tires and wheels sub forum. The bolt pattern thread just happens to be the only thread started in that sub-forum currently. You would click on the post new thread button that the green arrow is pointing to to start a new thread about tires or wheels, such as this one.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really, gs

You got me, that’s a good on but you know me. I have been around longer than almost all of these folks and never posted or created negativity so I just want this to go away. I actually asked Lenny to close it because my intention was never to create entertainment but just a thread about people’s opinions of factory tires being crummy on a very expensive truck.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Rbohno;29030181...because my intention was never to create entertainment but just a thread about people’s opinions of factory tires being crummy on a very expensive truck.[/QUOTE said:
Count your blessings. You don't have Nexen tires.

Reactions: ramrocker

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am embarrassed to say I have never heard of Nexen tires, but what is their biggest issue?
My issue with Firestone is they are terrible off-road. Our heavy trucks need all the help they can get and that’s why I always immediately change to BFGs or Duratracs.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
I must admit that I'd never heard of them, either, but they seem to come on at least all DRWs.
They must have a fairly flimsy carcass the way the act, don't come balanced well from the factory (may not be the tire's fault), and generally don't last long.

Other than that, they're fine. Except for handling and traction.

I switched to Toyo C/Ts asap.

Reactions: Rbohno

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I must admit that I'd never heard of them, either, but they seem to come on at least all DRWs.
They must have a fairly flimsy carcass the way the act, don't come balanced well from the factory (may not be the tire's fault), and generally don't last long.

Other than that, they're fine. Except for handling and traction.

I switched to Toyo C/Ts asap.
Thanks for the feedback that’s what I wanted out of this thread so hopefully others can give their opinions

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Well......my 4500 DRW came OE with Continentals, so.......there :na:

Reactions: Rbohno and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
That's only because Nexen couldn't figure out how to stretch a 17 over a 19-inch rim, despite the flimsy sidewalls.
You lucked out.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts