Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE NEVER INSTALLED RIMS OR TIRES THAT WERE LARGER THAN STOCK, DUE TO THE HIGH AMOUNT OF MILES I PUT ON A YEAR. I AM STAYING AT HOME MORE NOW AND AM THINKING ABOUT PUTTING ON A SET OF 20'S". ANY IMPUT AS FAR AS FUEL MILAGE CHANGE OR ANY OTHER CONCERNS I MAY NOT HAVE THOUGHT OF WOULD BE HELPFULL. I JUST WANT TO FILL THE WHEEL WELLS A LITTLE BETTER, BUT STILL HAVE ENOUGH ROOM SO I WONT RUB ANYWHERE OR FILL UP WITH MUD. YOUR CHOICE OF RIMS AND TIRES WOULD BE HELPFULL. THANKS ALOT. DANNYJ.:rof

·
Registered
42 Posts
DANNYJ-- There are a few things to think about if you want to go with a larger-than-stock size tire.

1. It will require you to reflash to adjust speedo and overhead mileage readings.
2. TPMS requires minimum pressures that most non-"E" rated tires don't support.
3. You will lose gas mileage if you go larger.

I have a 2008 QCSB 6.7 4X4 and thinking about going larger as well. I'll have to get the computer reflashed to adjust speedo, etc., might have to go with a programmer because I don't know if Dodge Service will do this for me. Also, the minimum pressure that the TPMS system requires is higher than the max pressure of non-"E" tires, so you almost have to buy "E"-rated tired to keep your TPMS light from bugging you. And, yep, gas mileage will drop with larger tires...

I want to go 305/70/17, roughly 34" tall, and use my stock wheels. I'm looking for "E"-load range and will have to get a reflash. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put a set of 20' KMC black Rockstar rims with 305/50/R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I'm still getting 18+mpg as long as the right foot doesn't get too heavy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts