Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the stock Michelin a/s tires on my truck and retain the stock 17" by 8" rims. I would like to stay with e-rated tires that are Lt285/75r 17. 90% of my driving is city and highway. I tow a 10,000lb trailer camping about 10 times a year. During duck season I drive a road that can get nasty with mud. I've narrowed my choices to the Toyo M/T, Toyo A/T or the Nitto Dura Grappler. Anyone out there using these tires in a similar fashion that could make recommendations on performance and longevity, Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
Check out the Cooper Discoverer ATR's. I've got them in the stock size (replaced the stocker Michelins) and they look a lot larger than the Frenchies!!! I do know they make the ATR's in 285's and 315's also!!! Great tire!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Go with the LTX A/T Michelin- Pricey but aggresive enough and still handles with a load behind it but if your hearts set on those three go with the nittos

·
Registered
830 Posts
letumwork, glad to see you over here from the fuge:beer
i've got a buddy with the toyo mt's. they clean out real good in the mud and he has got some good mileage so far outta them. about 20k and they still look really good. he rotates every other oil change. don't have any experience with the other 2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses so far. I've heard good things about all of the recommendations so far, however Cooper and Michelin don't make an e-rated tire in the LT285 size that will fit a 17"rim. I've been told the Toyo M/T is a great tire but I'm hesitant because I wore out a set of BF Goodrich M/T's on my last truck in 18k miles. Anyone out there using the new Dura Grappler? I know it will probably suck in the mud but I'll make that sacrifice if it does well in the snow, rain and towing. Oh, thanks NMMega for the welcome from the "fuge" I'll be back over there about October!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dura Grappler Anyone

Anybody out there running the Dura Grappler? If so, how does it perform in inclement weather and how is it wearing on the heavy trucks? Thanks in advance for the replies!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
the dura grappler is a pure road tire..if you need any offroad ability then you will want the toyo m/ts because they have the extended mileage and outlast the a/ts

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want a 285/75/17,you have 2 choices. The Toyo MT or Toyo A/T. Both are E rated.

The Nittos don't come in a 75 series in the 285 width.

If you want a 70 series than yes,you could get the Nittos.

I've had both the Nittos and Toyo A/Ts on a HD truck. The Toyos lasted much longer than the current Nittos Terra Grapplers are going to. Both the Nittos and Toyo A/T have excellent snow and wet traction,and decent mild off road traction.

IMO the Nitto Dura Grapplers are basically a street tire. Probably perfect for your on road needs and pretty sad for the off roading you do.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have had the Toyo MT's in 37's and the Nitto Terra Grapplers in 33's and the Toyo's outlasted them 3 to 1. I got over 40K on the MT's and I sold the truck before they were gone. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toyo M/T longevity

OK- I'm leaning towards the Toyo M/T because of the good reports on this forum and my needs for getting to the duck club. One question- bigblue24v stated the M/T's will outlast the A/T's. How is this possible with less rubber contacting the pavement unless there made with a different compound or made to better standards? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i need tires for mine too but those damn 265's are waaaaaay too small. i'd like to go 285 - 315 but i NEED something for the snow and rain... work is 1700km's(1000+miles) away so i need something good :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
i need tires for mine too but those damn 265's are waaaaaay too small. i'd like to go 285 - 315 but i NEED something for the snow and rain... work is 1700km's(1000+miles) away so i need something good :D
I went with the Toyo A/T in a 285/7517. They are pricey but I think they are a good alternative to the much smaller 70 series and a little bigger and wider 315/70's.

I won't install them for another 6 weeks or so. I won't know how I like them until then. I gotta get a little more life outta the little stockers first...and maybe a smokeshow or two just to finish them off.:hyper:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm runnin Nitto Terras in 295/70R17 3415rating. Great tire. Havent had them long but they are quiet and handle my 16k toy hauler well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts