Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drive my truck commercially and it has come time to purchase a new set of tires. As winter time will be approaching shortly that is something I will need to account for in the tread pattern I choose. My tires are 265/70 R 17. What tires in your opinion are going to offer the best fuel mileage by having a low rolling resistance while still having a tread that will have no issues in snow? I was looking at the Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you for your time and help?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I got 80k out of a stock set of tires from an 08 on an 05 truck I previously owned. It was the bfg tire I forget if it was the land terrain or long trail. It's been too long. They got good mileage too. I consistently got 20 mpg hwy with that truck. it got around decent in snow. I wouldn't say terrific, but I never got stuck, and we had some pretty icy winters during that time.

Good luck with ur search. That's just my xp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Nitto Dura Grapplers are getting great reviews. It is a highway all season. Give them a look. My truck came with Michelin LTX2s and they are great but when they wear out, I will get a set of the Nittos. $50-60 less a tire and as good.

Dura Grappler

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know if you are looking for a great looking tire....... Cause these aren't. i run firestone transforce at tires on all my 3/4 and 1 tons trucks. l have seen almost 55000 miles out of 3 sets. like i said they aren't attractive, but traction and longevity are excellent although I'm not sure they have a load range e for that size

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as pro grade silent armors, id stay away. i have those on my own pickup and am not particularly impressed with traction in snow. they are although an excellent summer/highway tire

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Reactions: Zac2109

·
Registered
359 Posts
the pro grades seam to be a good tire my fire department has them on our command truck and they are way better then the stock tires and the town uses them on all the small chevy and ford plow trucks with no issue. and the transforces are a great tire too they seem to last quite awhile on stuff that comes through the shop

·
Registered
46 Posts
3 suggestions, all are terrific tires:

1.Goodyear wrangler silent armor
2. Goodyear wrangler duratrac
3. Cepek FCII

I currently run the FCII's on my '10 Ram, 50k miles on em and are still around 50-60%. I run the 10 ply silent armor's on my company truck, '10 Ford f150, which sees daily action at a coal mine for 40k+ miles. I have yet to have a flat, they have worn unbelievably well, and are quiet on the highway. IMO you cant go wrong with the SA pro grade's.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Cooper discover st maxx's for me. Had them on my last truck for about 10k miles and still looked new, my 11 had them on when I picked it up too. They are great tires in the snow and ice but the one thing I dont like about them is the road noise. Pretty loud going down the highway

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am running 285.70.17 E Hankook RF10's great traction added 500 per tire max weight capacity over stock size no rubbing. Had the same set on my dura max over 30k wearing great when I traded in a year ago.

·
Registered
101 Posts
not trying to hijack the thread but the stock (off road:banghead:) tires that came with mine when I purchased my truck are junk... for MY USE (grain farmer). Great for for highway use silent etc.

Anybody have anysuggetions of a better or more aggressive mud/snow tire but not the whomp whomp whomp noise?
Given i cam from a 1/2 chevy lifted with 35' procomp xterrain radial.
I have been thinking about the procomp mud terrian radial probably not the extreme version of that though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
alot of people i know have had great luck with the Goodyear duratrac might want to check them out

Reactions: awright07

·
Registered
682 Posts
Every time I read a tire thread I just shake my head. I'd throw a party and invite everyone here If I ever got 25k out of a set of tires! If anyone wants to share their secrets I'm all ears.

·
Registered
91 Posts
60 k

Every time I read a tire thread I just shake my head. I'd throw a party and invite everyone here If I ever got 25k out of a set of tires! If anyone wants to share their secrets I'm all ears.
Hey bud there no secret, my 09 1500 got 40k out of the goodyear expected to get more out of the Michelins. I find less twist and turns more hi-way Ive got 60k out of tires. City driving kills them, long hi-way trips thumbs up!

·
Registered
46 Posts
As I said earlier the Michelin tires are great. My stock tires were the Michelin ones. I up graded to the ms2's. I got 45k out of them and 3/4 of it was hauling a cattle trailer around the gulf coast. These ms2's are holding up better.

As far as making tires last. Have the alignment checked and corrected every year. Rotate the tires every oil change. And no burnouts!

·
Registered
132 Posts
in addition to those mentioned, fast starts, and fast stops, wear tires faster

1 - 18 of 18 Posts