Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, 2012 3500 SRW. Current tires are Michelin LTX A/S 10 ply, stock 265/70/17. I've had them for about 8 years now, and they are pretty well worn, one has a nasty patch from a screwdriver in the tread, and they are starting to show some dry cracking on the sidewalls.

I don't drive the truck much, maybe 5-7k a year on those tires (and 5-7k a year on my snows, different rims).

I was thinking I'd get the Bridgestone Duravis R500 for the quiet ride, but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there in a highway tread I should consider. Lots of 100k reports on the Duravis, and honestly, I won't come close to that before they just get 'old'.

Truck will be 99% pavement, some light towing (3800lb boat, double axle cargo trailer with minimal weight).

Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the same brand and model tires that came on my 2011 Laramie, BF Goodrich Rugged Trail. I ran over something on the I-state and ruined one of the original tires so I bought one new tire and had the spare mounted on the other side of the axle, then a few years or so later the other two original tires developed cracking so I then replaced those two with new BFGs. I believe if it weren't for the cracks forming I could have ran the original set of tires at least 90,000 miles. They are not a highway tread and look more aggressive than they really are, but they run smooth as butter and quiet as outer space on a very smooth road surface. When it is time to replace them I plan on stepping up from the 265/70/17 that are on the truck now to 285/70/17. Whether I replace these with more Rugged Trails is under consideration. BTW, these Rugged Trail BFGs don't wear worth a darn on lighter vehicles but they have a long tread life on these heavy diesels, and I think that is probably true for many tires. BFG All Terrains don't wear well on a diesel because of the weight but do fairly well on the gassers. I look at tire reviews on tirerack.com and ignore the 1500s and F150s but pay close attention to the 2500 and 3500 truck tire reviews. My son has a 2016 SRW 3500 Ram CC 4x4 with a 6.4 hemi and he put Firestone M/T II tires on it and they are fairly quiet, and offer a lot of off road traction. Tires are kind of a mystery to me. I had a mini van years ago that had Goodyear Vector tires on it and at 44,000 miles I could determine that they had worn just a little bit. When I needed new tires on another car I went to the Goodyear dealer and told the guy I wanted a set of Vectors put on it, and he told me the Vectors weren't any good and they quit making them. I know what was wrong with them, they lasted too long. I didn't put Goodyears on that car and haven't bought goodyears since then. LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have never ran Bridgestone tires before so i couldn't comment on them. I run Cooper tires Discover AT/3 in summer and the ST Maxx in the winter on my 2010 2500. I stepped up in size from the 265/70/R17 to 285/70/R17 and like the look better.
I also have run the Falken wildpeak A/T3 before on a 1500 ram and really liked them. They hold up good and are a good all terrain and was able to get 60K milles out of the first set.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am running the Falken WildPeak A/T3 load range E on my 2011 CTD, 285/70/17

I have been impressed so far. Two winters and not a problem, rarely needing 4x4 Tire wear seems good so far. Not to noisy, and seem to handle the weight of the truck very well. At this point, I see no reason to try anything else next time.

As comparison, I have run General Grabbers, Toyo Open Country, Nitto Terra Grappler's previously. I think these Falken's outperform all of them. I found the rest to be very soft (quick wear, and leaving ++rubber marks while backing in my driveway). Despite being rated for all WEATHER, they are wearing very well.

·
Go Packers
6,014 Posts
I have a set of Bridgestone Duravis R500 tires on my truck. They are wearing well. Currently 26,400 miles & 11/32nd's if I read the gauge right.

See post #69 & 71 for pics of these tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts