Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tire Pressure Monitoring and Exhaust Brake?

1575 Views 31 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  BroncoHound
1. Is there any way to turn off the TPMS? Or is there a way to make the Smarty or XRT do it? It is a nice feature when you are on the road but that stupid light annoys me when I am aired down intentionally.

2. Is there any way to set the Exhaust Brake to be default on? I hate having to turn it on all the time. I know this would be bad for people in cold climates with ice and snow, all that fun stuff. But for those of us living in warmer climates it would be nice to have it default on, and you push the button to turn it off. At least thats how I feel I may be way off on what everyone else wants, but it is just a thought.

Not sure if this is really the place for it but I figure if this is going to happen it is going to be done through a tuner.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
Yeah...My truck doesn't have the TPMS, but my dad's does, and he hates it! It's always on.

Anybody got any solutions?

I hope H&S can help us...Maybe Casey's reading this one as well...

Casey, you got anything for us XRT users to eliminate the TPMS completely while running the XRT?

Also, Casey, if you can, do something about that annoying seat-belt dinger!!! If you can, that would be great!

· Registered
386 Posts
I think it would be highly illegal to remove the TPMS so I doubt anybody will be doing that for us. Just set your pressures to 60 psi in the front, 45 psi in the rear and go for a drive. After 15 minutes, hit the light load button and the little light on the button will stay on. Then you should be good to go with no more warning lights from then on, as long as you have at least 60 in the front and 45 in the rear.

· Registered
2,057 Posts
Yeah...My truck doesn't have the TPMS, but my dad's does, and he hates it! It's always on.

Anybody got any solutions?

I hope H&S can help us...Maybe Casey's reading this one as well...

Casey, you got anything for us XRT users to eliminate the TPMS completely while running the XRT?

Also, Casey, if you can, do something about that annoying seat-belt dinger!!! If you can, that would be great!
The seat belt dinger can be took care of very easily with a series of hooking in the seat belt and unhooking it... read your owners manaul

· Registered
3,516 Posts
find the right dealer and the tech can disable the tpms, i suggest one that is about to close, my 08 no longer has tpms, and it rides much better at 50 psi.

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
Is there any way you can help me out...I don't have my manual here, but I can possibly remember the sequencing.

I just want that annoying thing gone...The light can be on...but for God's-sakes make the dinger stop!!! LOL

Thanks BT,

Austin

· Registered
2,057 Posts
find the right dealer and the tech can disable the tpms, i suggest one that is about to close, my 08 no longer has tpms, and it rides much better at 50 psi.
:shock: the dealer I talked to said nothing they can do to adjust it or anything.... grrr they lie :whip:

· Registered
2,057 Posts
*Get in the driver seat and put on your seatbelt, make sure door is closed.
*Turn on ignition, don't start truck.
*Unplug and plug the seatbelt back in 3 times within 10 seconds.
*Turn key back to off position.
*You'll hear a "ding" and will never hear the seatbelt dinger again, the light will still be on in your cluster but there is no annoying sound anymore
Hope this helps lol,
Brad

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
*Get in the driver seat and put on your seatbelt, make sure door is closed.
*Turn on ignition, don't start truck.
*Unplug and plug the seatbelt back in 3 times within 10 seconds.
*Turn key back to off position.
*You'll hear a "ding" and will never hear the seatbelt dinger again, the light will still be on in your cluster but there is no annoying sound anymore
Hope this helps lol,
Brad
Thanks bud!

I'm gonna write this down and do it right when I get off work!

You're a life saver...Well, at least an ear-saver...LOL

Thanks again dude!

Austin

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
LOL yep anytime, thats the first thing i did before I even drove my truck off the lot :)
I work for my folks...and I just told my dad about doing that on mine, and he said "Well, I buckle-up, so it don't bother me...But if I'm driving through the woods, or through the pasture, I don't wanna be wearing a seatbelt...So, if it works, I'll get you to do it to mine, too."

LOL

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,449 Posts
The EB thing I can deal with since I don't run my EB when I'm unloaded much, but disabling or dialing down the TPMS would be a Godsend. It sure would be cool if the Smarty could give me the option to dial down the TPMS to 40psi or so for all 4 wheels.

· Registered
45 Posts
For the TPMS: I ordered a set off of EBAY, took a piece of 4" PVC, drilled 4 holes in it and put the TPM's in it, glued endcaps on it and pressured it up. Then went to dealer and had my truck programmed to recognize the new sensors. You could do it the same way with the original sensors and save a trip to the dealer.

For the exhaust brake: there's a member of this forum who makes a relay of some sort the you can tap into the exhaust brake wiring and the cigarette lighter and it will turn the exhaust brake on when the truck starts. The switch still works the same as it always did. He sells the setup on EBAY and the instructions are really easy to follow.

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,449 Posts
For the TPMS: I ordered a set off of EBAY, took a piece of 4" PVC, drilled 4 holes in it and put the TPM's in it, glued endcaps on it and pressured it up. Then went to dealer and had my truck programmed to recognize the new sensors. You could do it the same way with the original sensors and save a trip to the dealer.

For the exhaust brake: there's a member of this forum who makes a relay of some sort the you can tap into the exhaust brake wiring and the cigarette lighter and it will turn the exhaust brake on when the truck starts. The switch still works the same as it always did. He sells the setup on EBAY and the instructions are really easy to follow.
Everything i've read on the TPMS system is that they are charged and monitored through wheel rotation so putting them in pressurized PVC shouldn't theoretically work. How long have you had it like this?

· Registered
102 Posts
Yes TPMS system can not be bypassed it is against federal law. I would be surprised if even the scanners at the dealer could turn the system off sense it is mandated by federal law. Sets say a tire shop puts some custom wheels on your car and does not install the sensors at your request they can be fined. This could also open up someone to a law suit if you would hurt yourself or someone else in a car accident from a flat tire or low tire.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.