Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone using for off-road snow chains? I was looking at the titan V-bar or just crosslink since I have plenty of room on the rear but get a little rub at full lock with a 4.5" lift and 295/70r18 cooper S/T Maxx.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Honestly after using a good snow tire I would never go back to chains or cables. That said I no longer live in an area that would require them so I am not of much value to this convo.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was out ice fishing last year and got my truck stuck in a bit of snow on a hill. Luckily my buddy had some vbar chains that fit, I was unstuck and good to go in no time. Never a bad idea to carry chains when out in the bush when there’s deep snow around. I’ll be buying a set of vbars in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was out ice fishing last year and got my truck stuck in a bit of snow on a hill. Luckily my buddy had some vbar chains that fit, I was unstuck and good to go in no time. Never a bad idea to carry chains when out in the bush when there’s deep snow around. I’ll be buying a set of vbars in the next couple weeks.
I was out hunting with my teenage son last week and hit 20" of snow that had been driven on with the center still 12" high. I pulled off after 3-4 miles and walked, but got passed by 6 other rigs that had chains on. I could NOT have went in without chains. Even with chains I would not go in alone, but with other rigs in the area I could have made our elk hunting trip a lot more successful with chains. Literally in NW Montana you cannot hunt in November without a mule or chains.

Reactions: Ratdog1

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ice under that snow or real hard packed snow to the point it is like ice and chains are a must, and off road where it is frozen ground or red clay under that snow, chains are awesome. I did not always live in FL, no chaining up here. I am actually considering some as he was property in the mountains.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run chains but my tire size and offset are different from stock. I did run v bars in the rear stock and cut up my ebrake cable. Beware and have lots of zip ties. I️ run HD chains from tirechains.com for the reasons listed above during elk season. Snows in the winter = no need for chains but early winter in the bush is different especially when towing.

Vbars in front were a no go for me stock. Especially watch your passenger side due to drag bar / knuckle.

No substitute for chains in the elk woods. Rare when you need them, but worth it when you do else it’s a miserable time. Heavy wet packed snow and ice. Add in steep hills and it’s a show. My neck of the woods last Saturday (I️ couldn’t go play, busy):
https://instagram.com/p/BbHxkeSH5Iw/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
What rims are you running (offset?)?

I’m running 7mm chain with the setup below front and rear. 27mm offset and 37x12.5. Cannot turn sharp due to sway bar and radius arm interference. Cannot read your signature to see what year your truck is for comparison. (Tapatalk).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What's everyone using for off-road snow chains? I was looking at the titan V-bar or just crosslink since I have plenty of room on the rear but get a little rub at full lock with a 4.5" lift and 295/70r18 cooper S/T Maxx.
If I were to live in the snow again for any period of time I would invest in proper snow tires.

Since I don't live in the snow, I invested in a set of cables from SCC that fit my tires 295/65R20 properly.

SZ492 Super Z-8 was my choice, but I don't have ice here. If you need real chains for ice roads there are a number of manufacturers available, SCC included.

The SZ468 Super Z-8 would fit your tires and are probably the lowest profile cable chains you're likely to find.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I run Trygg vbar chains for a semi. They're overkill but should get me through damn near anything. We do alot of backcountry in the winter.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: USMC8511

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the stock road tires on my 2015, 18 inch rims. I have a set of quick chains that work great. Just throw over and hook back and then hook front and put tightners on. They worked great when I was working in PA. I still have them in the truck. Cant remember the brand, but got off amozon and think they start with a P. They say can run 50mph on dry road.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the stock size 275/70/18 tires on factory rims and am wondering if anybody has had any problems with chains possibly hitting the parking brake cable on the driver side rear.
Looks like there is very little room between the tire sidewall and the cable.
I have chains for all 4 tires and the front looks like there is plenty of room for chains.
I haven't taken the truck in the snow yet while hunting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the stock size 275/70/18 tires on factory rims and am wondering if anybody has had any problems with chains possibly hitting the parking brake cable on the driver side rear.
Looks like there is very little room between the tire sidewall and the cable.
I have chains for all 4 tires and the front looks like there is plenty of room for chains.
I haven't taken the truck in the snow yet while hunting.
I had no issues with rubbing with my VBar chains on... I needed to get out of some muddly/clay and still had my stock tires/rims on pulling some machines. I didn't turn my tires to full lock at any point though, so it might STILL be possible, but I would say I went about 60-70% of the way to full steering lock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts