Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Both my brother and I purchased a carli 3rd gen track bar and 3rd gen track bar adapter (my 2000 and his 1994). Were goin to be doing it ourselves and im just wondering if theres any tips to installing a track bar. Ive read to use ratchet straps to center your axle to the truck. Any other tips/tricks?

Also ow long did you guys make the 3rd gen trackbar with 2" level spaces?

thanks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I have found that one of the best fixes is a DDS withe big steer box and lower bearing withe support

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ive worked as a professional offroad tech for years.. Every track bar I have ever done has been on the ground.. Dont need to jack the truck up at all so it stays aligned pretty well. Install the fame-side first and when youre ready to put the bolt in the axle-side bracket have your buddy start thet truck and turn the wheel to move the truck side to side over the axle until the hole lines up. Dont bother with ratchet straps.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so do you measure the trac bar before the install or get the truck strait then adjust it till it fits?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might sound stupid but, is it smart to get an alignmet after i do this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Subscribing! I too would like to know about the procedure for track bar installation.

:bump:, for a really good question.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just put one on my truck today...I just left it on the ground took the old one out put the new on in. I had no problems getting everything lined up. It took me about 45 minutes which is probably longer than it should have.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put one on my truck today...I just left it on the ground took the old one out put the new on in. I had no problems getting everything lined up. It took me about 45 minutes which is probably longer than it should have.
do you have a 3rd gen track bar on your truck? because im going from a stock track bar to a 3rd gen track bar, so its a completely new set up thats why im kinda lost.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sure don't....I just went with a moog. Not sure how the conversion is set up I have never seen one. I should have read a little closer before I chimed in.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I did not get an alignment, and I did the adjustable track bar, I used a 4ft level as a straight edge, works perfect, if you lay it against the tire, on my truck the level touched the fender and both the top and bottom of the tire, that ensures the axel is under the body perfectly, I double checked it with a measuring tape comparing both sides to a common point on the axel and front cross member. no sense wasting money for an alignment, as you will get it so close that if the axel is centered, you will not have any tire wearing or steering issues

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK now were talking here! Thanks guys for helping m5b6l and I out. I thank I got a handle on how it is supposed to line up. I had wondered about just measuring with a tape measure but wondered if it would be accurate enough. It is a kind of important and I sure don't want to mess things up. Let me clarify though. I don't have a 2nd gen anymore, just the 3rd gen, but I know they are pretty much the same system.

Now just gotta wait for the paycheck to order an adjustable bar. I have noticed tire wear on the outside of the tires due to my KORE springs.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help. but does anybody know what they measured their track bar out to with a 2" front level spacer? i just want a refrence to go off of.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You really should get an alignment but you dont have to. I did, just incase. turns out the toe was off a little, saved a brand new set of tires.

·
Dumbass
4,351 Posts
wow, this is a great topic that i'm glad i found. cuz i just got an adjustable 3rd gen trac bar that i'm going to be putting on. good info!

·
Registered
64 Posts
0-3"DODGE TRACK BAR INSTRUCTIONS

From ThurenFabrication.com, written for his trackbar, but you can use these instructions for just about any aftermarket adjustable bar.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha thanks, :doh: i didnt even think about looking under another brands website for instructions.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did not get an alignment, and I did the adjustable track bar, I used a 4ft level as a straight edge, works perfect, if you lay it against the tire, on my truck the level touched the fender and both the top and bottom of the tire, that ensures the axel is under the body perfectly, I double checked it with a measuring tape comparing both sides to a common point on the axel and front cross member. no sense wasting money for an alignment, as you will get it so close that if the axel is centered, you will not have any tire wearing or steering issues
i dont really understand what he did...

i need a new trac bar for the truck and theres a leveling kit.. so im going adjustable

from my last truck, with leaf springs, they say the easiest way is to take off old trac bar, drive 30 feet back straight, then 30 feet forwards straight and the axle will center itself... i dont know if this would work for the coil springs..

but anyone else explain how to install adjustable trac bar?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts